Sign in to follow this  
ArtV

Replacement Table for an Old Industrial

I recently purchased a Singer 107w3 with a bad home made table. I assumed that nothing would be readily available so I have a plan to make my own out of an industrial work bench.................. then I though I should at least pose the question and tap into the vast knowledge available around here. 

Is anything new available that would work for this machine or am I better off making my own. This is what I was thinking of for making a table. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Table-HOLT46XDB12/301809931

husky-workbenches-holt46xdb12-e4_400.jpg

I agree on the center bar interference on the one you show, that would interfere with the drip pan if you keep the top dimension of a typical table.  

I have made a couple of tables  I used an old solid core door 1 3/4 inches thick for a table top.  I've also used two layers of 3/4 plywood glued up and then covered it with laminate.  I think a trestle style base would work if you can find but then you'll still have to fashion a foot pedal.  The ones I've built are kind of a trestle style, I like that because you are less likely to bang your knees as you swing in and out from the machine.  

My favorite wood tops are butcher block.  A 4’ piece is less than $100.   Walnut butcher block looks really really nice.    On the cheap, old maple butcher block is often thrown away when countertops are redone.   Everyone wants to save the old butcher block until they can’t figure out anything to do with it.   The old glues make these tops likely to deconstruct, but it’s easy enough to reglue.

You can also get one of a hundred Formica patterns to get any color and pattern that fits your style...it is attached with contact adhesive and the edge trimmed with a flush trim router bit.   The plastic edge bumper seen on commercially available tops can be ordered by the foot, or you can glue solid hardwood to the particle board edges before the Formica is glued down.

Spending the time to make a good cutout pattern out of 3/4” MDF and cutting the opening out with a router and pattern following bit is quickest for multiples tops.

For just one top you simply use a holesaw partway through the four corners and finish with jig saw.

The nice thing about a custom size top is it fits your needs better than a standard top.  

On 11/27/2020 at 12:07 AM, Constabulary said:

the top center bar maybe in the way when you make a cutout for the machine head and want to install a oil drip tray (like this one - sample)

Was not thinking about a drip pan… it doesn’t currently have one. If the tray only catches the occasional drip? … I’m thinking I could make something work.

On 11/27/2020 at 8:30 AM, sandmanred said:

I agree on the center bar interference on the one you show, that would interfere with the drip pan if you keep the top dimension of a typical table.  

I have made a couple of tables  I used an old solid core door 1 3/4 inches thick for a table top.  I've also used two layers of 3/4 plywood glued up and then covered it with laminate.  I think a trestle style base would work if you can find but then you'll still have to fashion a foot pedal.  The ones I've built are kind of a trestle style, I like that because you are less likely to bang your knees as you swing in and out from the machine.  

I’m not opposed to modifying the table some if need be… wasn’t sure how the support was under the top. 

I was thinking that I could mount the foot pedal on the bottom center bar and fashion a “heel block” of sorts. 

On 11/27/2020 at 7:31 PM, DonInReno said:

My favorite wood tops are butcher block.  A 4’ piece is less than $100.   Walnut butcher block looks really really nice.    On the cheap, old maple butcher block is often thrown away when countertops are redone.   Everyone wants to save the old butcher block until they can’t figure out anything to do with it.   The old glues make these tops likely to deconstruct, but it’s easy enough to reglue.

You can also get one of a hundred Formica patterns to get any color and pattern that fits your style...it is attached with contact adhesive and the edge trimmed with a flush trim router bit.   The plastic edge bumper seen on commercially available tops can be ordered by the foot, or you can glue solid hardwood to the particle board edges before the Formica is glued down.

Spending the time to make a good cutout pattern out of 3/4” MDF and cutting the opening out with a router and pattern following bit is quickest for multiples tops.

For just one top you simply use a holesaw partway through the four corners and finish with jig saw.

The nice thing about a custom size top is it fits your needs better than a standard top.  

Thanks for all the ideas… my bigger issue is the base. I can fashion a new top but the whole table that I have is shot. It was cobbled together with an old counter top and some electrical conduit. 

22 minutes ago, ArtV said:

Thanks for all the ideas… my bigger issue is the base. I can fashion a new top but the whole table that I have is shot. It was cobbled together with an old counter top and some electrical conduit. 

Did you want to build one or find something suitable to put the right top on?

Searching Craigslist and FB marketplace for “K legs” will eventually turn up a base for less than $50.   I’ve seen maybe one set a year listed as free within an hours drive.  They are one of those things that have little value if it’s sitting around not needed.   

About once every other year I’ll buy a used machine just for the head and either give away or recycle the base, so I’m guessing many people across the country are doing the same thing.

On 12/1/2020 at 8:49 PM, sandmanred said:

Did you want to build one or find something suitable to put the right top on?

I'm open to options......... cost will be a factor too but if I can't find a whole table that works then I will go with building one. I'm leaning towards buying legs and then making a top. Fairly undecided at this point.......... weighing my options I guess. 

On 12/1/2020 at 9:26 PM, DonInReno said:

Searching Craigslist and FB marketplace for “K legs” will eventually turn up a base for less than $50.   I’ve seen maybe one set a year listed as free within an hours drive.  They are one of those things that have little value if it’s sitting around not needed.   

About once every other year I’ll buy a used machine just for the head and either give away or recycle the base, so I’m guessing many people across the country are doing the same thing.

I have been looking on FB............ nothing yet. :)