richA25

Tandy vs Weaver foil embosser

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Question for everyone-

Im looking into getting a foil embosser and have narrowed it down to either the new Tandy Pro, or Weaver foil stamper. Anyone have experience with either? Pro’s and Cons? Price range is $700, so a dreamfactory is out of the question.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Depending on your needs, I’d consider searching for higher quality used machines. I just picked up a Kwik-Print Model 55 for $750, with at least a half dozen letter sets. I know these are rare, but I started like you.

I originally bought a cheap $160 heat press on Amazon. Unboxed it and realized it would be something I would upgrade very quickly. So I hop on Facebook Marketplace real quick to see if anything was available locally and found the Model 55 only 25 min away from me. Picked it up the next day.  I could probably get $1,500 for the entire set. 

As a hobbyist I can't justify spending that kind of money. The parts to make one of these will be here in the next few days. I already have the arbor press. Don't know how it'll turn out but I'd rathe spend the money saved on letters which I'm finding are rather expensive. Apart from the Aluminium which I have coming from a friend the whole lot only comes to a bit over £60.

I have the Tandy Pro and don't have any real complaints. Sometimes a leather piece doesn't take the stamp but I put that down to the quality of the leather rather than the printer. It takes a bit of getting used to, to get the 'knack' and I have nearly messed up a couple of pieces but if you are ready with a damp sponge or cloth and can see the problem and act right away you can correct it without ruining the leather. 

It is my first and only foil print machine so I don't have a basis for comparison. I do find the stamp sets to be very expensive. I have a set of 4.5mm but want to get the 6mm set soon and sort out my logo on an individual stamp and that is going to knock me about $800 for that-eek! 

I did find these guys when I was surfing about looking for a Die Cutting Press https://lwleathers.com/  - might be worth a look. Tandy isn't selling their die cut press any more (or they are just out of stock) so for that I am between these guys or etsy sellers from the far east which I am a bit hesitant about.