Leather20

Preventing Leather from stretching

I'm sure this has been asked before, but how do you keep leather from stretching when you tool it? I've heard some say to put tape on the back of the leather, do you do this before or after casing and does it work?

1 hour ago, Leather20 said:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but how do you keep leather from stretching when you tool it? I've heard some say to put tape on the back of the leather, do you do this before or after casing and does it work?

I have no experience with tooling but I asked a crafter on Instagram (Can't remember who it was but I saved the photo) what reinforcement this is. And he told me it's tape he use when tooling. 

Skärmavbild 2020-06-21 kl. 23.46.42.png

2 hours ago, Leather20 said:

Hi :)

For me the best tip on the subject is this video from Ed LaBarre :)  

Thanks for that.  I've been taping................but haven't then glued it to a card stock backing.   Nice suggestion.

1 hour ago, SamB said:

Hi :)

For me the best tip on the subject is this video from Ed LaBarre :)  

This is awesome and I will try it next time i tool! Do you case the leather before or after taping?

22 minutes ago, Leather20 said:

This is awesome and I will try it next time i tool! Do you case the leather before or after taping?

It depends on the casing method :) If you use the method of submerging the leather in water and then put it in a ziplock bag in the fridge it's better to do it before taping. Otherwise I do it after

47 minutes ago, Chris623 said:

Thanks for that.  I've been taping................but haven't then glued it to a card stock backing.   Nice suggestion.

Yes, it's really a great tip!

i use this one:

White Tear-Off Adhesive Tape

https://www.decocuir.com/ruban-adhesif-indechirable-blanc-largeur-30-mm-c2x31861365

Edited by paloma

So I've tried taping a few times on the projects I've done since I first asked this question and I can't seem to get the tape to stick. I've tried taping before casing and after casing but it won't stick. I tried the type in the video and the blue painters tape which a lot of people also recommend. Any tips?

I use 3M clear packing tape - sticks really well.  I have also rubber cemented the piece to an old plastic place mat that you can buy from Wally World.  Both work well for me.

I used painters tape a while back, and it did not keep it from stretching. I have since ordered Gaffers Tape, but haven't had a project that required extensive tooling to test it out...

3M packing tape with filaments.  This stuff sticks and leather will not stretch. Have never tried applying to wet leather.  Once stuck, don't know I would dunk in water, but I use water spray to case,.and no problems with the tape.  Only downside is when pulled off, it will raise any loose fibers your leather may have.

Hope this helps

Terry

There are a few ways to stretch your leather belt that you can try. Method 1 - Add more weight. Method 2: Create 1 more hole. Method #3: Soak in warm water. Method 4: isopropyl alcohol.Method 5: Stretch the leather with heat. Method 6: Place in the freezer. Method 7: Use leather stretching products

There are several ways to prevent leather from stretching, and it ultimately depends on the type of leather you have.

Here are some general tips:

1. Choose a high-quality leather: Good quality leather is less likely to stretch than lower quality options.

2. Avoid getting your leather wet: Leather can stretch when it gets wet, so try not to expose it to water or moisture as much as possible.

3. Store your leather properly: Make sure that you store your leather items in a cool, dry place where they won't be exposed to humidity or extreme temperatures.

4. Use a conditioner: Using a conditioner on your leather periodically can help keep it hydrated and prevent excessive stretching.

5. Don't overuse or overload your leather items: Be mindful of how often and how heavily you use certain items made of leather (such as bags or shoes), as this can cause them to stretch out more quickly.

6. Get the right fit initially: When purchasing any item made of genuine leather such as jackets, pants or shoes make sure that they fit perfectly before buying them because if there is too much room left for extra space then there are chances that the material will get stretched with time due to consistent usage by an individual. By following these tips, you should be able to keep your favorite pieces of genuine-leather looking great for years without worrying about stretching issues!

Edited by Northmount
Removed spam link

@lorenejackson If you want to advertise here, contact the admin Johanna and buy a banner ad.  You have embedded your site in a few posts here.  We treat it as spam and will take further action if it continues.