Chris623

My first stab at carving (no pun intended)

One of the subjects I teach in my wood carving classes at the local Vo-Tech is Low Relief.  So when I finally got around to looking at the Figure Carving forum, it was obvious I had to give it a try.  So this is my first stab at trying to create a low relief in leather.  Oh..........and I'm painfully aware I carved a "handicapped" Elk.  He's missing his left front leg.  I was so caught up in what I was doing, I left that out of the picture. :whistle:

DSC_8462-half.thumb.jpg.acda0272afb4df8d828a485175ccb275.jpg

Be kind, this was my first try.

I think you did a nice job on it!  Two comments:

1. Nose looks kind of big and seems to be straight on versus head that is angled

2. Beveling is noticeably choppy - I would have gone over it a few more times to try to eliminate the ridges from each stamp.

That being said I think it really looks like an elk!

Thanks.  Those were things I was aware of.   Haven't figured out how to get rid of that choppy look with my beveling yet......but I'll get there.

First effort and you did a fantastic job.  Yes, you need a little practice but you made the elk look great.

Thanks.................at least people can identify that it's an Elk!   image.gif.ee90b0b44c5f66919ae01998bd207568.gif

I think the antlers are quite well sculpted.

As far as getting rid of the chop, lots of tapping and walking the beveler instead of tap/move, tap/move. Not sure if there is an analog to wood carving or not on this one or not. There's a ton of YouTube out there on this that seeing will do far better than trying to describe in words. Smooth beveling is a bit easier to get choppiness figured out than checked beveling but you don't need it if you don't have smooth bevelers. Ok, think about it like this: one whack per tool width and move leaves a foot print of the tool that is easily discernible, half the whack and its half as discernible, quarter it, even less. Now pretend you are Xeno and keep on halving that distance until you achieve smoothnicity. Yep, I just made that word, smoothnicity.

Thanks, battlemunky.  I never really thought about it that way.  I'll just have to keep practicing.  You are correct, though, in that my smooth beveling is much cleaner.  I just thought I'd cross-hatch bevel this one because I was planning on cross-hatching the background.  My idea was to blend the two together.  That idea didn't come to fruition.  :rolleyes2:  Hopefully they'll get better.  And, yes, the antlers were the best part of my work on this one.  Thanks for noting that.

The nose except for nostrils, top of head and bottom of ear i dont think should be cut. The eye isn't quite right either. Eyes can be tough. You want to start deeper in the corners and fade your cut to nothing in the middle of each eye lid. Start in the corner and do half the top fading to nothing then do the other side. Repeat for the bottom. You should have 4 cuts total for the eye. Bevel the eye the same way, deep in the corners fade to light in center top and bottom. A modeling spoon can help smooth out beveling as well

Thanks.  I totally agree with all you've said.  I've a lot to learn and really exposed myself showing my first "try" at carving.  I become more embarrassed of the piece every time I look at it. The eye is absolutely horrible...........I'm aware of it.  Going to have to study up on it because the carving is something I want to learn.  I bought myself a set of sculpting tools and a mallet for a Christmas present.  Haven't seen/tried either yet because I always wrap and mark my "present from Santa" and open it when the little wife and I open our presents Christmas Eve.    It's still in the shipping box.  So it's even a little bit of a surprise for both of us. :)

I just posted one of my sisters dog if you want to see what I meant. 

I wasn't meaning your attempt was bad. Its important to start somewhere. There are a few resources that are excellent. Video instruction id recommend jim linnels elktrack studio. He has many videos and shows good instruction on figure carving. Books, tandy has al stohlmand figure carving and figure carving finesse books. The finesse book is full of information. Everyrhing from textures and eyes to portraits and different animals.

I also think your first attempt is a good step in the right direction. The hair texture and musculature and antlers are well defined 

Heavens, you needn't apologize for critiquing my work.  That's why I posted it.  Here's how I would critique my own work at this point.  The antlers are very well done...........in fact I think as good as many people with a whole lot more experience than I would do.  The rest of the carving is mostly mediocre..................and parts of it are terrible.  So if I can say that about my own work, there isn't much anyone else can say that would offend me.  Besides,  I posted the picture for honest critique.  I'll get better.  I always do with whatever new thing I'm attempting.

I've thumbed through the Stohlmand books.  Wish they weren't so expensive, I'd like to have a couple (or more) of them.  But I especially lust after the Finesse book.  Maybe when I win the lottery, funds won't be so tight. :)