Sign in to follow this  
Missalot

Looking for the holy grail of sewing machines

I am searching for a machine to sew belts up to 16oz (2x8oz) holsters, but yet gentle enough to sew wallets and purses. I would like to be able to use #69 thread and comfortably use #207. I need advice on what to get. I have a little bit of a budget but the more saved the more equipment I can get for my shop. I already have a old Union Lockstitch that I call the beast but no reverse and it is made for thicker stiffer leather and cannot sew a wallet. Also timing is starting to slip on it and I need to get it adjusted before I can use it again. My budget is closer to $1000 than $2000 but I can make it stretch if I have to. Any models that fit this bill would be incredibly helpful. Thanks.

Any walking foot machine can sew wallets and belts up to 16 ounces or so, but only with up to #138 thread. Some can even clear #207 thread on top with #138 in the bobbin. The stress on the take-up mechanism is just too much with #207 thread, top and bottom. You need to up the ante to get a machine strong enough to punch through 16 ounces of veg-tan belt leather with #207, using a #24 needle and still pull the knots up inside the leather. There are a few new machines that claim to handle #207 top and bottom and sew 3/8 inch, but I haven't tried them. Somebody else who has may chime in here.

Prospects include the following.

• Cobra Model 26
  • Cowboy 6900
  • Techsew 4800
  • Adler 867
  • Juki LU-1508NH

Thank you wiz. I will look into those. 

The best advice will come from Cobra Steve and Leather Machine Company. Nobody knows the business any better and I'm sure he will be willing to share a few minutes to help you toward a solution.

Personal experience with the Cobra class 26
It can do all you're asking of it.  Including #207 thread but that's the absolute max in thread and needle capacity and requires a bit of tinkering to get it to run right. I only use my 26 for 69 and 138 thread. You would want to run 138 in the bobbin anyway due to capacity. But it can do it. Not to mention it will run #46 thread (heavy household sewing machine thread) but no reason to drop below #69. While the advertising claims 5/8" under foot and up to 277. That's only if set up properly and then maybe. but you won't be able to drop down to 69 thread without a lot of readjustment. That said the machine can go from 69 to 138 with nothing more than a new needle, new thread top and bottom, and a minor tension adjustment on the top tension.  
You can get 1/2" under the foot. It will reverse in the holes if you stop the machine at the beginning of the stitch. and it will sew a few ounces of oil tanned with no trouble at all. I've yet to try the machine with 207 and most likely will not as I have a class 4 for that. 

Here's the catch. It's $2300. Good news is you have a Distributor in Springfield Mo. Springfield leather supply. and you might get a break on shipping. Well it won't cost as much as shipping from California.