Danne

Recommend a tool you like that is not mainly used for leathercraft

I use collar stays to spread glue in small areas. I'm retired now and don't wear shirts that require collar stays, the reinforced plastic tabs that keep a shirt collar straight.

I buy cheap pin vises and insert them into old, cut down file handles to hold my awl needles.

I use cheap plastic For Sale, Beware of Dog, etc. signs from the Dollar Store from which to cut templates. They are big enough for most anything I make, rigid enough so they can be used repeatedly, store easily and seem to last a good long time.

I glue various grades of sandpaper to wooden coffee stir sticks for sanding in tight spots like belt holes on pancake sheaths. If the sandpaper is glued up the edge too it is really useful for sanding the ends of oblongs.

I use my low angle block plane to true up the edges of the items I make...no sanding necessary if the plane is sharp.

Free chopsticks... The bamboo ones are the best.  Easily formed, they can be specialty molding "spoons" or stylus'. Nicely hard and smooth after filing/sanding and then burnishing on another piece of wood. I've even made double-ended orange peelers from them. Like the above mentioned skewers they are great for filling larger holes in wood or as a quick molley in concrete.

You can soak or steam bend them too.

Edited by Ole South
spellcheck

Fiskars rotary knife.  No drag on thin leather.

Roofing hook blades (utility knife blades), when cutting heavier weight leather you can hook the edge, and carefully control the draw, either against a guide/straight edge, or along a drawn or traced line. The blade pulls through with minimal effort and eliminates the need for multiple passes. Due to the curved nature of the blade it also helps cut bends and around corners without over cutting. I load my utility knife with straight blades and hook blades so I can quick change as needed.

A corkscrew!

This is an invaluable tool for obtaining protective covers for awls. But then you have to do something with the surplus materials.............

I bought a set of brass punches of various sizes from Harbor freight.  I have a couple in the leather shop.  One is perfectly sized for the large tandy stamps to use as a handle.

Boy these area all super ideas, especially for us new guys.   This thread should've been titled "Leather Worker Hacks! "  I know it's not earth shattering but I glued on different grit sand paper to (free) paint stirrers that I've picked up at the local hardware stores.  That way I have different grits on a block ready to sand long edges.  For smaller tinier areas I like the chopstick and bbq skewer ideas.      Ya'all keep these coming! 

I like a spokeshave for skiving belts and other straps.

PVC pipes of various sizes. I use them for round box stitching, to glue exterior and lining of bag flaps (to make sure the finish product naturally bends a certain way), to make handles.