matcanada

How to apply tokonole

Hello,

Quick question. How do people apply Tokonole burnishing cream? I've seen some people use their fingers, but I was wondering if there is another way how to apply it efficiently without making a mess of my fingers.

Veeery carefully, dip your finger pad into it so as to get a small drop on it: apply it to the edge and smear it, taking care you don't get any on the leather/flesh side (if you do, quickly rub it off with paper towel or shop towel). Repeat as needed. Wipe your finger on the shop towel. Burnish.

No need to make a mess, really.

Edited by Hardrada

1 hour ago, matcanada said:

I was wondering if there is another way how to apply it efficiently without making a mess of my fingers.

I've used my fingers but it can get a little messy, so I usually use foam tipped cleaning swabs (that I get from Amazon) to lay down the first layer (I usually apply three layers). 

Foam-Tip-Cleaning-Swabs.jpg

Edited by LatigoAmigo

9 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Three layers?? Is that to get that mirror-like shine?

I only use chrome-tanned leathers, so the edges are more of a challenge than veg-tanned leathers. Mirror-like shines do not exist in my world.

3 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I only use chrome-tanned leathers, so the edges are more of a challenge than veg-tanned leathers. Mirror-like shines do not exist in my world.

A true friend of latigo, eh?

I've been using latigo for slings lately and have been doing the Edge Kote + Tokonole (1 layer) drill. I admit the edges could look better.

I have a little two ounce plastic bottle with one of those cone shaped caps with the hole in the end like a small glue bottle. I put the Tokonole in that and run a fine bead down the edge before moving it across the surface with a finger tip.

Regards,

Arturo

In terms of tools which are reusable (I try to avoid throw-away items when possible), I've tried an edge roller similar to the one @chiefjason mentioned with limited success. How do the more industrial shops do it? I can't imagine that people are using their fingers if you need to do twenty edges in a row or is that just the way people do it?

What's the problem of using one's fingers? You get more control over the amount and extent that's applied that way. When you've trained your fingers to a given process you can make it as fast or faster than a machine.

As for industrial scale production, I don't think they use Tokonole.

@RockyAussie has a manufactory. Maybe he'll pop by and tell us how he does his edges on large scale production.

PS: Why, even at Hermes they still apply edge paint by hand with awls:

Edited by Hardrada

11 hours ago, matcanada said:

How do the more industrial shops do it?

I saw one factory stack like 20 straps on edge touching each other, and literally swab on the edge dye across all of them at once, and buff them.  Seemed to work ok, I can't imagine it was a mirror shine, but a production edge.

YinTx