Roz0323

dye is rubbing off oil tanned tote bag

I purchased a piece of black oil tanned leather online and ended up making a tote bag as a gift.  once the item was finished, i conditioned it with Obenaufs.  for some reason the black dye is rubbing off the bag.  What can i do?  Can i apply resolene on oil tanned leather and if so, can i still apply it even though i already applied obenaufs conditioner?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Its a beautiful bag but i dont want to gift it if the dye is going to come off on their personal items etc.  items i have on hand are Neats foot oil, mink oil, sno seal, leather balm with atom wax and neutral resolene,  

Thanks!

Edited by Roz0323

2 hours ago, Roz0323 said:

the black dye is rubbing off the bag

I've had this happen to me, and found that treating the leather with a liquid saddle soap can help. I used Farnam Leather New Saddle Soap Foam that I ordered from Amazon. Rub it in real good using your fingers, and wipe it off with a clean and dry micro-fiber cloth. Repeat until the cloth quits picking up the color.

Thank you!  I actually have some  on hand and will absolutely  go with your suggestion.  i will keep you posted.    Thanks again!

Would regular saddle soap work? I had the same problem with some oil tan remnants I used, so I put some Super Shene on the pieces, hoping it would lock in the dye...

Did the sheen lock in the dye?  one coat?  Thanks!

7 hours ago, Roz0323 said:

Did the sheen lock in the dye?  one coat?  Thanks!

I don't know for sure. The dye rub off happened when I was trying to burnish the edges with beeswax (in hindsight, I should not always follow internet suggestions). I worried the surfaces, not just the edges, could have rub-off, too, but I didn't test it thoroughly, so take it all with a grain of salt. I was desperate and the Satin shene/super shene was all I could think of at the time to use. I did one or two coats, if I recall correctly. I don't know if it worked, because I didn't apply it to the edges (which were coated in wax at this point). I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Edited by Alaisiagae

Thanks for the saddle soap idea!!! i tried it and it worked first pass.  HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!