imawalkingfoot

Stuck with a problem - Unever walking foot

Hello All,

Got a problem here.

Pfaff 335 - already looked at uwe video and other manual instruction and also search other threads but still not fix the issue.

The back feet height is not even with the front feet weight when sewing. This results into fabric getting stuck between the front feet and back feet.

Also, put the feet height in max setting on the back with the wing nut.

I cannot adjust the back feet independently as the back feet seems to be dependent on the front feet.

I am stuck and still do not know any other way to have the height balance with the feet?

Anybody got other ways?

here is the video

https://streamable.com/076fy7

pfaff back 1.JPG

pfaff 3351.JPG

pfaff3352.JPG

Study Uwe's video a little more.  You need to position the needle so it is just touching the material. At that exact position, loosen the two screws next to the wingnut.  The feet will automatically go back to the correct timing.  Tighten the two screws again, and you should be good.  

19 minutes ago, Pintodeluxe said:

Study Uwe's video a little more.  You need to position the needle so it is just touching the material. At that exact position, loosen the two screws next to the wingnut.  The feet will automatically go back to the correct timing.  Tighten the two screws again, and you should be good.  

That is what I did. What ends up doing is the front feet height is at 5mm while the back feet height is 3 mm. wing nut is at lowest setting, This results into fabric getting stuck between the front foot and back foot.

Make sure to have a little material in the machine when you make the adjustment.  When you loosen the two screws, confirm that the feet come down to the material before you tighten the screws.  

Sometimes they will stick slightly and the feet will still be off.  Push the feet down with your finger when the screws are loose.

37 minutes ago, Pintodeluxe said:

Make sure to have a little material in the machine when you make the adjustment.  When you loosen the two screws, confirm that the feet come down to the material before you tighten the screws.  

Sometimes they will stick slightly and the feet will still be off.  Push the feet down with your finger when the screws are loose.

I did that too. When that happens, the smaller feet has a higher clearance that the back. say for example the front feet will go up by 4mm, the back feet will be at 2mm. I even try putting more layer of fabric in the back. when that happen, the front feet is pushing down with too much pressure that the needle plate sometime is bending.

....someone with a 335 will come along with which lever to readjust to get the adjustment range back into the middle of the wing nut slot.

Is the machine new to you?   If so, it’s not uncommon for people selling a machine to put the crappiest mismatched and barely functional parts on the machine - many of these look new, because they never worked right.    Import feet of poor quality have heights that vary all over the place - it’s just a thing we have to watch for nowadays.  Readjusting a machine to function with defective feet will drive you nut if you use more than one set.

If this turns out to be the case, I’d be on the lookout for all sorts of worn out or defective parts - hook, tensioners, thread guides, needle plate, etc.  Some machines I’ve acquired were the dumping place of every crap part in the shop!  Lol

15 hours ago, DonInReno said:

....someone with a 335 will come along with which lever to readjust to get the adjustment range back into the middle of the wing nut slot.

Is the machine new to you?   If so, it’s not uncommon for people selling a machine to put the crappiest mismatched and barely functional parts on the machine - many of these look new, because they never worked right.    Import feet of poor quality have heights that vary all over the place - it’s just a thing we have to watch for nowadays.  Readjusting a machine to function with defective feet will drive you nut if you use more than one set.

If this turns out to be the case, I’d be on the lookout for all sorts of worn out or defective parts - hook, tensioners, thread guides, needle plate, etc.  Some machines I’ve acquired were the dumping place of every crap part in the shop!  Lol

Not new. I am familiar with german machine. Yes, people do mess up german sewing machines a lot as they have lower tolerance compare to the japanese or americans.

So I thnk I got it figure out BUT i am only getting 5mm height for both feet in max settings.

What was happen was, the long bag the holds the back foot was hitting the edge of the top tension bold instead of going inside. This results iit clocking noise or the front foot putting more pressure on the needle plate.

So what I did is push the tension bolt down more so the back bar is going inside and stay inside instead of going out when it is going up and down.This lessen the pressure on the front bag and pushes the back foot higher to march the front foot height.

See pictures below and diagram. Highlighter in yellow and blue.

1453363695_pfaffbar.thumb.JPG.6d4e8e7652b85ed56ea9696ae69a8b10.JPG

2021850584_backbar.thumb.JPG.343416e20ae1ea2eb6ebd5187c6373d0.JPG

As you can tell from the pictures below. I am only getting 5mm for both foot  at max settings. I feel like I could more since this is a pfaff 335. I think I could probably get 7mm. It is 11mm when foot lever is up. That is something I might experiment in the future.

5mm1.JPG.e29f1af47ec9ba3f05e78a05ea969c3e.JPG5mm2.JPG.4d817e5a5e947fa81b2e37e608244ff0.JPG

Balancing the two feet can be a bit fiddly as they are inter-dependent, which is obvious by looking at the linkages. I have an old casting 335 and normally can only get about 6mm under the feet, some models can give more, depending on the sub-class. I can get up to 10mm by mal-adjusting the feet and needle bar but then the feet won't touch the feed dog.