Chris623

Need some advice

I'm trying to gather stamps.  Getting a pretty good assortment, but I only have one smooth beveling tool !!  It's a Z B157 from Tandy.  Any recommendations as to a 3 or 4 basic smooth beveling tool set to get started?

Look at the top of the page. Leatherstamp tools. com. Beautiful tools at very reasonable prices. 

Yup.  Had that link saved for a long time now.  Beautiful tools.   Very pricey tools.  Higher than Barry King's tools. Out of my range at this point.

If you are handy with tools you could try making your own. I made my own bevelers and backgrounders from some 3/8 brass round stock that I ordered from Grainger. All you need is some files and sandpaper for the bevelers. Since you already have a Tandy beveler you have a guide to model your own to.

Hmmmmm.  Hadn't really considered that.  Certainly capable of making them.............I've made a lot of stamping tools for wood carvers.  But I really don't want to take the time to do that.  But it's a good idea that I might seriously consider.

Z series tools from Craftool are generally some of the lowest quality you can get.  They will probably do nothing but frustrate you.  I would recommend the older Craftools, you can get sets for reasonable prices that won't break the bank.  The older tools were generally hand made, and of good quality.  If you want, I'll look through my sets and let you know the numbers.

YinTx

I would appreciate that, YinTx.   Out of the 20 stamps I presently have, luckily, I only have 4 "Z" tools.  A friend gifted me my starter set of about 5 stamps, I think it was, and they were part of that set.