Deek

Presser foot not square with needle plate

Recently got a Singer 153w103 that I've been fixing up (and boy it's been a project) 

One of the issues I can't work out is why the presser foot is not sitting flat on the needle plate.

I believe this is what is causing the machine to pull the material to the left.

The presser foot was with the machine when I got it, so I am fairly sure it is intended for it.

I am also having an issue of what appears to be uneven tension every few stitches.

Would greatly appreciate any help with this, it feels like two steps forward one step back, but I guess that's just how you learn sewing machines.

IMG_20201202_170914763.jpg

e (1).jpg

Are you sure that your foot isn't bent or poorly manufactured? Is it a Simanco or aftermarket?

Old original Simanco feet were built to a much higher standard than most current aftermarket versions. 

Example of new outer foot (recently ordered) that slipped past quality control:

240148_bent.thumb.jpg.40646691115e07a494406ddc997669c3.jpg

Lower the presser bar until the foot contacts the needle plate..

Looks like the right side of the foot got bent down,try to straighten it by bending it up.

13 hours ago, mk10 said:

Are you sure that your foot isn't bent or poorly manufactured? Is it a Simanco or aftermarket?

It appears to be straight to me, it is likely after market though because I do not see any markings on i

2 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

Looks like the right side of the foot got bent down,try to straighten it by bending it up.

It sits flat when it isn't in the machine, but it wobbles around a little when it is in the machine, not sure if this is normal

10 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Lower the presser bar until the foot contacts the needle plate..

I will try this now and get back with whether it worked or not.

IMG_20201203_104319440.jpg

IMG_20201203_103940619.jpg

IMG_20201203_104349537.jpg

IMG_20201203_104341235.jpg

After loosening all the screws holding the presser bar and trying to push the foot flat with the needle plate, it is still only resting on the small toe although I was able to get it a little more straight.

Could it be the needle plate that is not flat? it looks like its been with the machine since the beginning.

I thought maybe the presser bar could be bent but it does not seem to have a problem traveling straight up and down through the hole.

What would be a good place to buy a new foot? I've bought all my other parts for this machine from Abel Thread Co, they seem to be good but I don't have enough experience to tell if they are quality or not.

There is a section of the bed casting that chipped off and was replaced with brazed material, which is where the needle plate rests, however the plate is flush with it.

The u valley at the top of the foot can be ground out to help the foot sit flat.  I have done it on occasion to poor fitting feet.  The problem is this is an aftermarket part and quality is not the best at times..  What is so crazy is it does not take any more effort or money to make it right in the first place!!!

glenn

11 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

The u valley at the top of the foot can be ground out to help the foot sit flat.  I have done it on occasion to poor fitting feet.

Likely I will have to do this, I'm just afraid I might ruin it. Thank you.

Feet are cheap.   Try grinding the valley at top.  If it fails, you order a new foot.  Not expensive.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher