Parfektionisto

Need help with Singer 211U566A

Hi guys,

My Singer 211U566A is having problem and I hope someone could help me out. 

. When I pressed on the button to adjust the stitch length, either forward or backward I turned the flywheel, it doesn’t stop.

. When I turned the flywheel backward, it will stitch in reverse, when I turned the flywheel forward, then only it will stitch forward. 

Tony

Edited by Parfektionisto

Do you keep pressing whilst you move the handwheel and then select the intervall?

Yes I did. When the button drop in, that’s when I can select the stitch, moving the flywheel backward all the way till it stop means the maximum stitch length, but problem is it doesn’t stop now! What’s more weird is, when I try to sew, it actually sew in reversed direction. 

Problem is still unresolved, any help will be greatly appreciated .

Sounds like stich adjustment button is not engaging and disengaging when it should.  It may be gummed up.  I would oil in and around it to start.  It may require taking the thing apart to see what the problem is.  The LU563 is based on the Singer 111W155 but with big bobbin and reverse.  send some pics please!

glenn

16 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

Sounds like stich adjustment button is not engaging and disengaging when it should.  It may be gummed up.  I would oil in and around it to start.  It may require taking the thing apart to see what the problem is.  The LU563 is based on the Singer 111W155 but with big bobbin and reverse.  send some pics please!

glenn

Hi Glenn, 

The machine was working without any issue until I changed to a different kind of thread and all this chaos started to happen. What kind of pics will be good to show? Everything looks pretty in place when I turned it up to check on the bottom gears.

Tony

Edited by Parfektionisto

Are you sure you haven't disengaged the safety clutch - for what ever reason?

Have you tilt back the machine and checked the plunger? Maybe it is worn or broken - who knows. I´d tilt back the machine press the plunger and the turn the hand wheel and watch the stitch adjustment cam and plunger...

Post a picture of the underside of the machine that's where all the mechanics do their work. Maybe someone can see an irregularity.

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Are you sure you haven't disengaged the safety clutch - for what ever reason?

Have you tilt back the machine and checked the plunger? Maybe it is worn or broken - who knows. I´d tilt back the machine press the plunger and the turn the hand wheel and watch the stitch adjustment cam and plunger...

Post a picture of the underside of the machine that's where all the mechanics do their work. Maybe someone can see an irregularity.

Hi Folker,

Sorry I’m not good at this, but trying to see if any luck I could get it back to working condition. I really don’t know if I did disengage the safety clutch, how can be sure of that? 

When you said plunger, do you mean the button that I need to press on before turning the hand wheel to change the stitch length? If that’s what you are talking about then it’s still there and not broken, but it doesn’t work the way it used to be anymore, meaning even when it gets into the grove, it doesn’t stay put, but move back to its original position, if you know what I mean. I’ll try to see if I can post a video or something. Thanks 

Tony 

when the safety clutch is disengaged the hook no longer spins. Yes with plunger (Singer term) I mean the button in the flat bed. What means it moves back? You have to hold down the button all the time until the wanted stitch length is adjusted or do I get you wrong? The button is spring loaded and does not stay put by just pushing it once - you have to hold it down.

Edited by Constabulary

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

when the safety clutch is disengaged the hook no longer spins. Yes with plunger (Singer term) I mean the button in the flat bed. What means it moves back? You have to hold down the button all the time until the wanted stitch length is adjusted or do I get you wrong? The button is spring loaded and does not stay put by just pushing it once - you have to hold it down.

Yes, I hold it down all the time when it gets into the groove so that I can adjust the stitch length with the hand wheel. I think I’m a bit confuse myself, anyway when I adjust the stitch length it should stop either at the longest or shortest, but now it doesn’t. No matter how I turn the hand wheel, my stitch length is at the shortest now 

I took some video with my mobile phone but it’s to large to upload it here. The max size uploadable is only 1.46MB, that’s very small. 

Edited by Parfektionisto

we need a video of it ?

glenn

13 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Set screws on hand wheel loose? Maybe?

How can I be sure of that? 

I´d almost say the problem sits in front of the machine  ;)  *kidding*

The grove for the plunger looks not worn and thew plunger looks long enough. So I only can guess that you don´t push it down deep enough or do not hold it down tight enough or the cam is badly gummed with old oil but then the plunger should still engage.

Try this - when you push the plunger and SLOWLY rotate the hand wheel and when you come to the point where the plunger should engage and you feel it goes over the grove (you feel it and hear it) slowly turn back the hand wheel and jiggle it back and forth a bit until the plunger engages. If you cannot hold down the plunger in the deep position put a screw nut (or the like) between finger and push it in deeper.

I have two machines with this stitch length adjuster (111G, 212G) and on the 212 it kinda feels more "fiddly" (thought is the same system) and on the 111 it works better but still both work well.

1 hour ago, Parfektionisto said:

How can I be sure of that? 

was just a guess w/o knowing what is going on on your machine and before I saw the videos.

Edited by Constabulary

Hi Folker, 

Thanks for replying. As I mentioned before the machine was working perfectly before, so I know exactly how the plunger works and I actually have 2 of this machines. The pulnger does get into the grooves in order to adjust the stitch length with the hand wheel. Everything was working perfectly, then all of a sudden this happen. Now I can’t adjust the stitch length even when the plunger goes into the grooves. This is what that puzzles me. 

Edited by Parfektionisto

12 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

we need a video of it ?

glenn

18 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Set screws on hand wheel loose? Maybe?

Whichever direction I turn the hand wheel it doesn’t come to a halt now, which I thought what you said might be possible 

Good morning,

The handwheel is turning the shaft clearly in the first video  - so I don't think it's the set screws there.

You can see clearly in the first video that the eccentric adjusting disk (on the right with the spring against it) is turning along with the main flange (on the left with the screws in it).     When the plunger button is pressed, the tip of the button plunger rod goes into the slot on that disk -- as mentioned and shown in your second video.     But....when the button is pressed that disk then should not move when the shaft turns because the plunger in the slot prevents it.     

In the second video it appears to go in correctly,  but you did not see if it will hold the disk from moving when you turn the handwheel.    Replicate that video but turn the handwheel and see that the disk does NOT move.   If it  turns then your plunger rod is not holding it as it should.   

• Perhaps the tip has broken off the rod so it does not seat as far into the disk's slot and won't hold?     
  • Or as Constabulary has mentioned you aren't pressing it firmly enough down into that slot.     
  • Or,  if it is  firm but pops out when you turn the handwheel,  perhaps they are bound together with dried  oil,  or the friction plate screws on the side of the flange have been adjusted a little too tightly.

Post a new version of the second video with the button pressed and in the slot,  but turning the handwheel.     Observe  if the  eccentric disk (on the right side by the spring) can be held in place while turning the handwheel.   That is the goal.

2nd video:    This looks good --  but see if the disk does NOT turn with the handwheel when the button is pushed.

image.png.5c1ea22538b5494b082a0c5d75d64d02.png

Hi BdB,

Thanks for your input on this, but as I mentioned earlier, I know how the plunger works, and how to adjust the stitch length when the machine was still in good working condition, and I have 2 of this machines, one of it is in good working condition, so the plunger is neither broken, nor I didn’t push deep enough into the groove/slot. See this new video below, the disk doesn’t move when the plunger is set into the groove/slot. The only strange thing is, when I turned the hand wheel in either direction, it doesn’t come to a halt, that’s probably the catch which I can’t figure what went wrong. 

Edited by Parfektionisto

Parfektionisto,

Thanks for the clarification .    The only way I can imagine that this would occur as you describe,  is if the pin follower in the eccentric assembly failed or sheared off.   This pin follows the channel in the eccentric ring to cause the eccentric slider to move and change the amount of eccentricity (and stitch length).    When the pin reaches the end of the channel at either end it will be the end of the adjustment and it should stop.   If the pin is gone I would imagine that you could keep spinning it.     Uwe made this very  helpful video that shows the mechanism.  At the 1:30 mark you can clearly see the pin that I'm talking about and how it mates with the ring.    Perhaps it has failed or sheared away. 

Just one thought to try to help you out.   Perhaps others may know of other ways that this could happen.

Good luck.

Hi BdB, 

thank you so much more the video, and thanks Uwe for making this video. Is this the pin you are talking about? 

BF73F665-B321-4A69-B1DF-21158B90FD88.jpeg

I had removed the eccentric adjusting disc spring collar as seen in the pic below,  and I realise some of the screw on the feed driving flange is not tighten, so I tighten them. After tightening I tried to adjust the stitch length again, and I was able to adjust the stitch length longer, but the hand wheel still doesn’t stop when I turn. Now I’m trying to figure out how to put back the eccentric spring with the collar? I tried to remove the safety clutch belt pulley so that I can remove the hook driving shaft, but I’m stuck and couldn’t figure out how to remove the shaft. Could someone advice me how to remove the shaft or how can I put back the eccentric spring and collar? Thanks  

7DB6F0CE-3C0A-4CA0-A3CB-F2F56C1243DB.jpeg

FD3125AA-17A4-471D-9BD9-DAB3CA134608.jpeg

Edited by Parfektionisto

<< Is this the pin you are talking about? >>           

Yes that is the pin.   While you have that assembly apart you might slide the eccentric ring to the right and see if the pin is properly in tact.     The ring  is a tight fit  but hopefully will slide easily enough with a wiggle.      At least that will answer that question.     It should look like this....

1603949601_Eccentricpin.thumb.JPG.62d6bd832c2ae14b7c804b5461e579f6.JPG    

Edited by BdB

1 hour ago, BdB said:

<< Is this the pin you are talking about? >>           

Yes that is the pin.   While you have that assembly apart you might slide the eccentric ring to the right and see if the pin is properly in tact.     The ring  is a tight fit  but hopefully will slide easily enough with a wiggle.      At least that will answer that question.     It should look like this....

1603949601_Eccentricpin.thumb.JPG.62d6bd832c2ae14b7c804b5461e579f6.JPG    

Yes the pin is intact, at least I have it removed, check and put it back in place. It seems like the problem could be the screw not tighten on the feed driving flange. Anyway, now I’m having the issue of putting the eccentric spring and collar back in place. It seems like I need to remove the shaft, but I’m unable to it. Could you advice me how to do it? 

I was using a hammer trying to push the shaft out, but that’s the furthers it goes as what you see in the pic, I’m afraid if I hit harder I might damage the tip of the shaft. 

1A8CDB33-FBC6-438A-8FA5-D6E5887C9F33.jpeg

Edited by Parfektionisto