ewayne53

Leather Stretcher

I want to make a belt for my son-in-law but I don't have a single length of leather to make the entire belt. I need some ideas on how to make a design or something that doesn't look tacky to make the belt. Like maybe adding billets on the buckle and/or the tip end. Any ideas or patterns are greatly appreciated.

Thank you and God bless.

I would have to measure again but 6-10"

Make 1 piece for going around the sides and back of the waist. Make it wide, say 1 3/4 inches, then make two shorter end pieces, maybe 1 or 1 1/4 inch wide and sew to the wider piece.

I thought about making something like a ranger belt design but making the main body of the belt stop short of the buckle and tip.

How about a long skive, say 6/7 inches glued and stitched making sure the outside skived edge is bang in the center of the back and then cover it with some tooling or a patch?

A Ranger style belt would be the best way to go in my opinion. Even with that the main part of the belt should be a bit larger than the persons waist size. A small amount of overlap is best. 

Ed,

Thanks for that tip.

God bless

The only decorative way is to put vertical lines of chisel cuts in, about 1/4" long, spaced by 1/4" between lines and the same apart, staggered 

|   |   |
  |   |
|   |   |

so they open like a mesh.

However, it's not recommended!