TrooperChuck

Having trouble with shoulder holsters

Hi folks.

It's been quite a while since I've posted here and I forgot how much excellent information can be found in these forums.  I make a lot of holsters, knife sheaths, and belts in my shop and I often get asked to make shoulder holsters.  When I first opened my shop, five years ago, I took on a couple of shoulder holster orders but was very disappointed with the finished products.  They just didn't fit the customer properly without a lot of constant back and forth visits for adjustments.  Eventually, I simply decided to never again make any shoulder holsters!  But, I keep getting requests for them.

So, my question is, do any of you have a pattern(s) for shoulder holsters that actually fit well and function properly?  

IMO, and I tell my customers this, it will take a week or so to get the adjustments right to how you want to carry.  And that's not part of my job unless there is a big problem.  They should be able to remove and replace Chicago Screws on their own.  I generally start the holster on myself and adjust it based on what the customer looks like.  Let them try it on when they receive it.  I''ll tinker with it then, but I'm showing them how to do it and telling them they will want to make adjustments as they wear it.  All this is based on a face to face sale.  

Have you ever worn one of your shoulder holsters?  That's where my opinion comes from.  It took me the better part of a week to get the holsters set up the way I wanted it.  After that I have not touched it in a couple years, other than to oil it once a year on the straps.  

Edited by chiefjason

How to make Holsters by Al Stohlman has a good pattern for shoulder holsters.  Using Chicago screws as chiefjason suggests add versatility.

Everything Chief Jason said! I'll also add the the Stohlman pattern is good, I've built one of the vertical 1911 ones he shows and like it quite a bit. It is a "retro" look and you should plan on it fitting a guy that weighs 150 lbs. just fine. If you're over 150 lbs, plan on making the "harness" bigger. 

I also recommend making one for yourself and wearing it around for a while so you know whether they're a workable design, 

All the best, 

Josh

Thanks for the replies.  I'll make one based on Al Stohlman's book and wear it for a while to give it a try.  Sounds like good advice.