Don Ayres

Seiko STH-8 BLD-3

So my adler deal fell through. How do you guys feel about the Seiko STH-8BLD-3, Is it a good reliable workhorse for leather and canvas ?

Thanks

It depends what you need it to do.  Comparable to a 206RB-5, maybe a little better due to country of origin and manufacturing standards.  I like them okay.  I wouldn't trade my Juki 563 for it, but they sew fine.  Capacity = 3/8" total leather thickness.  

Side loading big M style bobbin.  True triple feed walking foot.  Add a box style speed reducer and a servo, and it could be a sweet runner.  

Edited by Pintodeluxe

Been very happy with mine. It has never given me any problems. Very solid well made machine  

Pintodeluxe, This Seiko is refurbished from a sewing machine shop, they are asking $1,150, with table and servo, the speed reducer is $100 extra

What makes the Juki 563 a better machine ?

I have my eye on a Juki 15-41 S also

There asking $1,800 for it brand new with a table servo and speed reducer, but they are back ordered until january

Edited by Don Ayres

On 12/8/2020 at 3:37 AM, Don Ayres said:

Pintodeluxe, This Seiko is refurbished from a sewing machine shop, they are asking $1,150, with table and servo, the speed reducer is $100 extra

What makes the Juki 563 a better machine ?

I have my eye on a Juki 15-41 S also

There asking $1,800 for it brand new with a table servo and speed reducer, but they are back ordered until january

I didn't mean to say that a Juki LU-563 is better, but I just prefer it.  The reasons are primarily the huge U style bobbin on the 563.  Plus I've always preferred a top loading bobbin machine.  I started on a Consew 226 and got used to that style.  Changing bobbins on side loading machines is awkward for me, but ultimately you get used to whatever machine you use.  

As far as speed reducers, get a box style reducer if you can.  The standard style reducers often prevent you from tipping the machine back for maintenance / oiling.  The box style reducers mount where your motor normally sits, then the motor attaches below the reducer.  

Good luck with whatever you decide!