I want to know which material and machine do factories use to seal and coat the leather edges with a thick rubbery coat? I don't think it is Giardini, or Fiebings or Stahl or United or any of these edge coats, because I compared those to the rubbery edge coat I have on many bags and they are not the same.......I also don't think in mass production of bags they will waste time applying 3 or 4 layers of these edge coats..... I think it is a synthetic material... It could be the one in the attached photo but I don't know what is it? BTW this material is damn good and sustainable. 

Can anyone help me please.

leather sealing.jpg

can you post a picture of an example ? what bag makers are you looking at ?

A lot of the big brands of edge paint have different viscosity to choose from. But keep one thing in mind when you see that thick one layer "rubbery edge coat" it's not that common it will peel off relatively easy. I have seen it especially on cheap handbags. 

I think Hèrmes use some version of Stahl (Have seen it in some of their clips) I now one really expensive high end brand use Fenice. (I don't think it's a secret but I won't mention the brand because someone who work their told me)

If we take Uniters as an example. They have different viscosity of their edge paints. They also have a thickener you can add to your paint, and a filler. I have this filler in two version but haven't tried them yet, but I guess it's a product that can be used as the first layer and you only need one more layer for a rounded edge. I can update when I have tried these products. 

"EP FILLER is a water based polyurethane product with a high dry content designed to achieve a smooth rounded edge
on bags, belts and shoulder straps in leather"

Personally I would stay away from Fiebings edge kote. I have never seen a good result with that edge paint. 

Uniters, Fenice, Giardini, Stahl, Vernis600, Beraud CT are some of the more popular brands with good reputation.

Edited by Danne

Here is one coat of Uniters EP-Full, and one layer of Uniters EP2000. Started on a flat edge, and just dulled it a little bit with 800 grit. But the surface was the same.

I have done some more tests with Uniters, and painting more layers with heat and sanding do give a better result (at least for me) but of course it's also more time consuming. EP-Filler (EP Full and EP-Filler = two different products) also seems like a good "primer" for the first layer, after I smooth it with heat it makes a very even edge to start with. 

But I let the photo talk for itself. An edge like this looks very good, especially considering how quick it is with only primer and one layer of paint. And of course it would be even quicker with a edge roller or edge painting machine (I used a round awl)

Skärmavbild 2020-12-08 kl. 23.45.35.png

Edited by Danne

Where did you purchase this EP-filler from? I can’t seem to find it anywhere.