Just made this holster as a gift for my father in law who has been using a nylon holster for his Single Six. 

I think he will like this one better as he has commented that he likes the basketweave design. 

Bozo16_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

I'm sure he will like it! Looks great!

2 minutes ago, Hardrada said:

No securing strap? :thinking:

Nope. The holster fits like it should and holds the gun securely in place. I did however; think about putting at least a hammer spur on the back side that could be used if wanted. 

When people carried guns daily did you see many straps? I know I sure didn't . 

13 minutes ago, Bigfoote said:

I'm sure he will like it! Looks great!

Thank you. 

Nice job!  Basket weave looks good!

4 hours ago, JWheeler331 said:

Never lived in the time nor the place where that was common.

It just seemed odd to me to have such valuable item held on only by means of friction (I'm nervous about those bushcraft-style knife sheaths too), but then again, I betcha folks carrying them strapless weren't somersaulting either. :P

I think it's a neat holster; I was just curious.

Great looking holster.  If made correctly you don't need a strap, I've tested my holsters by hanging the gun upside down to make sure it will not slip out.  It's a retention test that use to be popular for competition shooting.  They no longer require it but I still make my holsters that way. 

The basket weave looks great and I really like the color.

10 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Never lived in the time nor the place where that was common.

It just seemed odd to me to have such valuable item held on only by means of friction (I'm nervous about those bushcraft-style knife sheaths too), but then again, I betcha folks carrying them strapless weren't somersaulting either. :P

I think it's a neat holster; I was just curious.

Understandable. I will put a strap on them if they are wanted. Sometimes just a hammer spur. All depends on the person its going to usually and what they want. 

1 hour ago, AzShooter said:

Great looking holster.  If made correctly you don't need a strap, I've tested my holsters by hanging the gun upside down to make sure it will not slip out.  It's a retention test that use to be popular for competition shooting.  They no longer require it but I still make my holsters that way. 

The basket weave looks great and I really like the color.

Thank you. 

Usually the fist thing someone asks (esp when I make historical single action holster styles) is where is the strap or why is the trigger guard exposed. I understand that not everyone knows so I just try to explain it. 

14 hours ago, JWheeler331 said:

Nope. The holster fits like it should and holds the gun securely in place. I did however; think about putting at least a hammer spur on the back side that could be used if wanted. 

Thank you. 

They usually just had a loop around the hammer spur with this style of holster back in the day. Beautiful basket weave nice and crisp.

Nice job with your holster! Could you post a pic of the back side?

Thanks

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

They usually just had a loop around the hammer spur with this style of holster back in the day. Beautiful basket weave nice and crisp.

Thank you. 

If you look at actual holsters from the 19th century you wont see the hammer spurs either. I don't know if I have ever actually seen one. Seems to be a Hollywood thing once they started wearing the low hung holsters in the old westerns. If your gun is riding on your leg it would increase the desire for something to keep it held in. In the 19th Century they mostly wore their guns up high on their actual waist. 

Edited by JWheeler331

1 hour ago, DaveP said:

Nice job with your holster! Could you post a pic of the back side?

Thanks

Sure. I normally sew the belt loop but when he mentioned that he would like to be able to turn the gun when he sits down on his tractor or side by side so with the rivets it allows for some movement. 

Bozo14.jpg

4 hours ago, JWheeler331 said:

Thank you. 

If you look at actual holsters from the 19th century you wont see the hammer spurs either. I don't know if I have ever actually seen one. Seems to be a Hollywood thing once they started wearing the low hung holsters in the old westerns. If your gun is riding on your leg it would increase the desire for something to keep it held in. In the 19th Century they mostly wore their guns up high on their actual waist. 

I dunno but all the ones here in Wyoming I have seen have one. Horses buck and trot and do a bunch of fun things that loose guns don't do well with. they also used holsters with a full flap. also they had holsters that fit over the saddle horns and weren't worn at all.It doesn't matter really its yours to make any way you want beautiful work indeed.

20 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

I dunno but all the ones here in Wyoming I have seen have one. Horses buck and trot and do a bunch of fun things that loose guns don't do well with. they also used holsters with a full flap. also they had holsters that fit over the saddle horns and weren't worn at all.It doesn't matter really its yours to make any way you want beautiful work indeed.

Yeah, there are all sorts of ways to carry one's gun. I enjoy seeing all the different styles out there. 

Very nice. I wet mold mine to the gun as you did and have had no issues with retention with normal use.

23 hours ago, Hags said:

Very nice. I wet mold mine to the gun as you did and have had no issues with retention with normal use.

Thanks.