These were my first pair of shoes ive ever made. I actually really want to get into making boots. I like the combat boot/midcalf/boxing- style boots. These were made for hunting, with soft soles, removable wool liners, fur in the toe and around the top. I made many mistakes with them, but they turned out functional! So far ive been wearing them as house shoes since they are warm and comfy :D

I actually made these using an old pair of rubber boots as a template, since they were too small. Mukluks and moccasin toe shoes in general are really easy to work with, these dont require a last to make. I made these on my singer 51w56. If you look at the right boot you can see i used a thin/damaged bit of leather. Once i realized i had already cut the piece and decided not to waste it. A few areas got messed up from just learning what the machine likes, apparently it doesnt like climbing seams XD not sure if that is a pressure issue or just asking too much from it.

all leather used is oil tanned, I think? the uppers are made of a strange leather i haven't really worked with. Ive already gotten a request from a family member for a pair. Look forward to making more, and sharing projects with the forum. Next up will be a two toned messenger bag

20201204_143536.jpg

20201204_140447.jpg

20201204_140456.jpg

20201204_140512.jpg

Nice job. They look pretty comfortable. 

those are nice.

On 12/9/2020 at 8:15 AM, chuck123wapati said:

those are nice.

On 12/9/2020 at 7:57 AM, JWheeler331 said:

Nice job. They look pretty comfortable. 

Thanks. I actually took the wool liner out and wrapped the bottom in some nice thick fur-on sheep skin, the comfort went from barefoot, to squishy house shoes. the insulation on the soles it 10x better now as well. Im going to make another pair, and try to make them nice this time.

Im curious if anyone has tried a welt that wraps around the top portion of the foot, and attaches a second sole, that would make them more water resistant?

Edited by aru

Very cool.