KYCat

Walking Foot for Singer 44-10?

Hi All-

I just purchased a pretty nice (I think :yes:) Singer 44-10 (derivative of the 31-15?) and obviously would like to sew some leather with it. Not expecting to run multiple layers of 9-10 oz but hoping it will do some lighter work. 

I really would like to have a walking foot and I'm having a tough time finding anything that is compatible with this model.

I was rummaging through the accessories that came with it and started looking at the one pictured. Could this be a walking (type) foot? If not, any suggestions on where to get one?

Thanks so much for your help!

Singer 44-10 foot 1.jpeg

Singer 44-10 foot 2.jpeg

This is the description of the  Ismacs guide http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/model-list/classes-1-99.html 

44-10   Industrial Drop feed, roller presser, Speed 2000. For leather. (44-10 threaded with wire. Photos: Mike Anderson) 16x6 or 16x26

47 minutes ago, chrisash said:

This is the description of the  Ismacs guide http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/model-list/classes-1-99.html 

44-10   Industrial Drop feed, roller presser, Speed 2000. For leather. (44-10 threaded with wire. Photos: Mike Anderson) 16x6 or 16x26

Thanks Chris- I've heard of the ISMACS but didn't know where to access it. I appreciate the information but there are no pictures of a walking foot so does that mean there isn't one and it just uses a roller presser foot?

I've got LOTS to learn about these machines and I appreciate any and all info I can get! 

Your attachment looks like a ruffler attachment. There are walking foot attachments for domestic machines like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Shank-SEWING-MACHINE-Even-Feed-Walking-Foot-with-Guide-Fits-MANY-MACHINES-/272381111093

But I do not know if they can be used on vintage Singer industrial machines and I don´t think this is a proper replacement for a dedicated "real" triple feed / walking foot machines or for a jump foot sewing machine (like Singer 44-9)

Your machine most likely will sew some layers of garment type leather w/o a waling foot attachments but we haven´t seen your setup yet.

Edited by Constabulary

5 hours ago, KYCat said:

I really would like to have a walking foot and I'm having a tough time finding anything that is compatible with this model.

You have a roller foot machine. If you want to have a walking foot, buy a walking foot machine! You can't just slap on a needle bar attachment and  expect it to feed leather. The attachments you are thinking about are actually called even feed feet and are used by quilters. All they do is follow the top layer with a sliding foot.. A real walking foot machine has driven components that pull the work on the top and bottom. The most common type is called compound feed, which is actually triple feed. This system has synchronized movement of the feed dog, needle and an inside alternating/vibrating foot. When the inside foot and needle are down the outside foot moves up, allowing the inside foot and needle to pull the work forward. When the needle ascends, the inside foot lifts and the outside foot drops, holding the work firmly in place.

3 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

You have a roller foot machine. If you want to have a walking foot, buy a walking foot machine!  

I appreciate the advise, I had the opportunity to get this machine with a limited timeframe availability. Wasn't able to buy a 'real' walking foot machine but was hoping there's an option to making it as close to one as possible.

Edited by KYCat

10 hours ago, KYCat said:

I appreciate the advise, I had the opportunity to get this machine with a limited timeframe availability. Wasn't able to buy a 'real' walking foot machine but was hoping there's an option to making it as close to one as possible.

The roller foot will work good with stiff leather,soft thin leather will lift & cause skipping.A walking foot attachment won't hold up on this machine since most are made out of plastic & even break pretty quickly on the home machines the were designed for.The width of the foot is pretty wide also & will hinder you from getting close to an edge as most leather sewers need to do.

Edited by CowboyBob

Roller feet are kind of fun to use on an old machine.  Often the roller is sold with a needle plate and feed dog to match, but as long as your existing feed dog has good contact under the roller it will work just fine.   Keep in mind most feed dogs for these machines are for light weight sewing and have smaller teeth - heck many feed dogs described for heavy sewing aren’t very aggressive, so look carefully before buying.    The flip side to large teeth is they are more likely to mark up leather.

The pre-WW2 feed dog on my old singer doesn’t have sharp teeth, but rather large pyramids - I have no idea what it was designed for, but it works quite well with a roller.

942F9C3E-2583-4229-85DD-B427370DDBFC.jpeg

I understand many rollers were used in the shoe industry for sewing uppers

On 12/12/2020 at 8:25 AM, CowboyBob said:

The roller foot will work good with stiff leather,soft thin leather will lift & cause skipping.A walking foot attachment won't hold up on this machine since most are made out of plastic & even break pretty quickly on the home machines the were designed for.The width of the foot is pretty wide also & will hinder you from getting close to an edge as most leather sewers need to do.

Thanks for the information! Going to get a proper roller foot (it came with a small foot with rollers inside the framework of the foot).  I did some research over the weekend and looks like I'm going to be updating the clutch motor that it came with to one of your servo motors. 

I appreciate all the input and help here- thanks to everyone so much!

Hopefully, I can post something sewn on the 'new' 44-10 soon! 

The roller foot shown above is good for sewing shoe uppers and making curved seams and the like. If you want to sew straight seams / general sewing work mainly then the foot you have may work fine.

Maybe you can post some pictures of what you have. It´s easier to evaluate then.

On 12/14/2020 at 9:43 AM, Constabulary said:

The roller foot shown above is good for sewing shoe uppers and making curved seams and the like. If you want to sew straight seams / general sewing work mainly then the foot you have may work fine.

Maybe you can post some pictures of what you have. It´s easier to evaluate then.

I don't have any actual 'roller' feet that would do what it's supposed to do. The machine was previously used for drapery/upholstery work.