AzShooter

Glad I didn't start stitching yet

This is a vent a little.

I was asked to make a leather bag for an IPAD by my girlfriend's caregiver.  I first thought I'd give her a break because she helps my girlfriend a lot.  I then realized even though they are friendly she never discounts her charge for services.

First we had to go through about 5 pattern  books to find one she like.  She changed her mind almost every day. Finally I got her to commit to one bag.  I had to customize the pattern to make it work but that wasn't really too hard.

We went to Tandy to pick out the leather.  She chose purple from their Italian supplier, special order, so no returns if she didn't like it.  Guess what...

After a week she changed her mind wanting a different color and leather instead of felt.  I had just received a side of leather for another project and she liked it a lot.  I charged her for this side on top of the money for all supplies I would need.

She has now changed her mind 4 times on the color thread to use.  Fortunately I took some of the leather and made a demo piece stitched with the threads she chose.  She picked one and I did the pocket first.  She likes it but wasn't satisfied with using it for the rest of the bag.  After a few days she chose purple, and since I was on another project her bag was on the back bench.  Today she saw one of my holsters with yellow thread and decided that's what she wants. No big deal, I haven't started on the final stitching.

I'm finding that just like my photography the customer can be a bear to get the final product they really want.

Sorry for the long vent.

Doing jobs for difficult people with whom you need to keep on good terms can be the worst. Years ago my artist wife took a logo design job for someone from our church. Many, many, MANY hours later he had something he was satisfied with and she had determined that custom art wasn’t worth her while. We would see his truck around town for a while with the logo on the side and she hated the sight of it. :censored2:

15 hours ago, AzShooter said:

This is a vent a little.

I was asked to make a leather bag for an IPAD by my girlfriend's caregiver.  I first thought I'd give her a break because she helps my girlfriend a lot.  I then realized even though they are friendly she never discounts her charge for services.

First we had to go through about 5 pattern  books to find one she like.  She changed her mind almost every day. Finally I got her to commit to one bag.  I had to customize the pattern to make it work but that wasn't really too hard.

We went to Tandy to pick out the leather.  She chose purple from their Italian supplier, special order, so no returns if she didn't like it.  Guess what...

After a week she changed her mind wanting a different color and leather instead of felt.  I had just received a side of leather for another project and she liked it a lot.  I charged her for this side on top of the money for all supplies I would need.

She has now changed her mind 4 times on the color thread to use.  Fortunately I took some of the leather and made a demo piece stitched with the threads she chose.  She picked one and I did the pocket first.  She likes it but wasn't satisfied with using it for the rest of the bag.  After a few days she chose purple, and since I was on another project her bag was on the back bench.  Today she saw one of my holsters with yellow thread and decided that's what she wants. No big deal, I haven't started on the final stitching.

I'm finding that just like my photography the customer can be a bear to get the final product they really want.

Sorry for the long vent.

Now you have a story to tell the next 'friend' or close acquaintance before committing to any custom work.