Jkid

Adler 105-64 needle and thread info

hello everyone, I have a question and hopefully you can help me.  A little over a year ago I bought an Adler 105-64 I did a test and I know that it sews well, I would like to know what thickness of needle and thread type it requires to be able to sew leather and high resistance polypropylene fiber for tow trucks.  I appreciate your help.

I've moved this post to the Leather Sewing Machines section where it will get better answers.

There’s very little online about sewing heavy straps and safety harnesses - I’m guessing nobody wants to be sued for suggesting something that later fails for any number of reasons and kills someone - there’s no upside to sharing such things.  I still think it’s really interesting and would love to know what industrial strap makers use as far as rules and regulations.

Im guessing anything for sale to the general public designed for lifting or pulling has to have a rated load capacity, based on actual destructive testing of a test piece with the webbing, stitch pattern and thread.   Materials have to be traceable back to the company that certifies its strength rating - that’s common in a wide range of industries.  

This article is primarily aimed at sail makers, but it’s an informative read for anyone sewing load bearing webbing.

https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Sew-Webbing-Loops

Like several other *standards*, the contents and specifications are licensed  by the body that generates the information. See:

https://www.asme.org/codes-standards/find-codes-standards/b30-9-slings

No idea if it has the complete construction details that would be of interest in this discussion, but this is most likely why there is not much authoritative info on the web.  I've encountered similar gate keepers when looking up the specs on V-belt pulley dimensions.

-DC

Edited by SARK9

thanks for your information.  I must clarify that I do not intend to manufacture tow straps,

I am using tow traps for personal use in my garage gym because of how resistant they are and it is cheaper for me to reuse my old (in good condition) tow strap.  I will leave some photos of what I am of what I am doing.  I am using a Pfaff 1245 machine and the top thread is 138 and the bottom I think is 90 bonded Nylon thread with needle 22-23 if I remember.  but since I have the adler I like to use it with a thicker thread since the machine uses needle 328R?

I can’t upload pics because the system say I can only upload files of 1.4MB 

Edited by Jkid

2 hours ago, Jkid said:

I can’t upload pics because the system say I can only upload files of 1.4MB 

There are several web based apps, smart phone apps, and downloadable computer programs that you could use to compress the photos to fit.  Most smart phones will allow you to set the file size.

Read this thread for some help. 

That machine can sew #346 thread top and bottom and you may be able to use #415 in the top.   They use at least #346 on tow straps. I have seen #415  on tow straps and probably higher weights of thread.

glenn