Sign in to follow this  
aru

pockets always uneven?

I cant seem to figure out why my pockets always come out uneven. I check for square, mark holes using the shape of the center portion of the pocket, not the sides that are sewn to the body of item. Do i need to add a border based on the width of the sides? Im so confused halp 

Since its not something anyone mentions its probably a super simple fix, but im slow...

It would seem kind of obvious the circumference of the outer portion is greater than the center, but how do you know where to punch for the outer? 

20201212_133928 (1).jpg

Edited by aru

Im really slow and now realize you must mark the holes based on how much width the side panel parts add.... woops

sorry for making a dumb thread

XD

it does feel good to figure something out after messing up a dozen times!

7 hours ago, aru said:

it does feel good to figure something out after messing up a dozen times

..........apart from the fact that it gets  a little expensive.

Depending on the project, I sometimes use a piece of chalk to mark out where stuff has to go so things line up. It doesn't do any damage and it rubs off . I have also learnt that what looks fine on a paper or cardboard template, doesn't always work with leather.  I  also do horse rug repairs  and I  use chalk  a lot to mark out where parts have to go. 

16 hours ago, aru said:

Im really slow and now realize you must mark the holes based on how much width the side panel parts add.... woops

sorry for making a dumb thread

Do go putting yourself down, we've all made some silly mistakes at some point , perhaps a lot more than I / we care to admit :blush:  :) :) 

HS 

One time i was at my brothers apartment there was a guy from a woodworking company trying to figure how to find the miter for a molding under the stairs after an hour and a half or so I had to get going as I was leaving I said to the woodworker would you like me to show you how to do that he said yah it took about 15 sec he said you sat and watched me for an all that time and said nothing !  I told him it's always best to figure these things out your self then you no what works and why.

11 hours ago, Handstitched said:

.apart from the fact that it gets  a little expensive.

learning on expensive leather is a silly mistake...that we have all probably committed.

11 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Depending on the project, I sometimes use a piece of chalk to mark out where stuff has to go so things line up. It doesn't do any damage and it rubs off . I have also learnt that what looks fine on a paper or cardboard template, doesn't always work with leather.  I  also do horse rug repairs  and I  use chalk  a lot to mark out where parts have to go. 

Do you know the those silver leather pens will work on waxed leathers? Does chalk work on waxy leather?

leather certainly has its quirks when it comes to templates and how it wants to bend/stretch.

8 hours ago, Samalan said:

I told him it's always best to figure these things out your self then you no what works and why.

Exactly, if you don't understand why it works, in a slightly different scenario you end up being lost because you cant mindlessly copy/paste.