Chris623

WOW...........a Barry King Maul!!!!!

My day in the shop has been interesting...........to say the least. One of my wood carving students purchased my first sheath knife a year or so ago............without a sheath. I told her to bring it back and I'd make a sheath for her. She showed up today with several large carvings she's working on that she had a ton of questions about, so we spent a couple of hours working out the problems. Then when it came to the sheath, she told me what she wanted. I told her I wasn't charging her for it because of all the nice things she's done for me in the past.  But she opens her satchel and pulls out a brand new Barry King maul with the tapered 2 1/2" head, adding "I know that now you are getting into leather working, you'll need one of these." I'm almost without words. I just received in the mail a couple of days ago a maul I bought myself as a Christmas present. Was a 1 pound copy of the BK maul. (nice.........but not a BK!) This one weighs 20. 38 oz. I feel extremely Blessed.

Now that I have this professional BK maul, does that mean I'm a professional leather worker????? :lol:

44 minutes ago, Chris623 said:

does that mean I'm a professional

I think one of the definitions of a professional  is "engaged in an activity for financial return."  By that regard, I'd say yes!  cool story, and Congrats on the new maul, may it serve  you well!

YinTx

Great sentiment behind that maul! Also, you get to see the difference between BK stuff and other stuff. I was impressed with my first BK tool but not blown away like I thought I'd be. I was expecting mythical but they are just really good tools.

Thanks guys.  I'm a huge proponent of buying good tools.  Always have been.  I'd rather have really good tools and fewer of them than a whole lot of mediocre tools.  Good tools are easier to use and more accurate...........and last longer.  Or at least that's my take on it.  It'll be nice having the two to compare.  I just pulled my "Christmas present" out of the box and it weighs 17.29 oz, so they are both pretty close.  I'd like to lighten it to 16 oz if I can.  Took the nut off the handle but couldn't get the handle off the shaft.  I imagine it's glued, but we'll see.  I'd like to get into the head and see if I can lighten it a bit.  Talk about a "happy camper".  What a day.

While I don't have a lathe, I do have a floor stand drill press.  I hate to apply sideways pressure on the spindle, but it's a good drill press and I don't think I could hurt it doing this.  I chucked up the bolt that goes through the center of the maul and marked off half inch "ticks" and put the corner of a square file to it.  Didn't turn out uniform because it was so hard to get the file started.............but it worked.  Didn't go real deep, but when I put it back together,  found I'd only dropped the weight a half an ounce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I was careful to maintain the original balance point.  Got mighty close.  Think I'll pull it back apart and file deeper.  I'd sure like to get it down another 2 to 4 oz.   Not so sure I can do that without a lathe.  Think I need square cuts and not v-cuts.  Ahh-h-h-h-h-h-h, just another "rabbit hole" to follow.

Pulled the maul apart once again and attacked my v-slots with the side of a flat file.  (Dang I miss my machine shop!)  Anyway, I've got it down to 16.22 oz.  So I've basically pulled 1 oz off the weight.  Balance still good.  Was really looking for a much greater reduction, but not sure how I can do that.  At least I've got a 16 oz and a 20 oz maul to work with.