Brich29

Singer 29-4 restoration?

Whilst anything is possible, it is very hard to find spares for the early models up to the version 29k5x

I sold my 29K53 a few months ago at about £200 after buying it 18 months previous for £95 at a car boot sale. EBay prices in the UK seem rather overpriced to say the least unless the latest versions the series 29K7X

Hopes this helps

$400? :blink:  I think the chairs in the background are more valuable. But patchers are more expensive on your side of the pond than on my side but I don´t think I would pay more than $100 max. and keep in mind the machine could be a loss. But decision is your.

Beside the price - Patcher machines are relatively easy to restore when all parts are present the the pinions in the gear box are in good condition. The pinions are obsolete. New pinions from later 29K machines (29K51 / 29K71 series) do not fit - don´t even try it.

6 years ago in December I have restored a similar machine but yours even looks a bit worse I´d say.

This was mine:

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/60554-29k1-pre-christmas-barn-find/

so yes, its possible but the condition of yours really is bad. I think I´d put the whole machine head in a big electrolysis tub for striping the paint and braking the parts loose (I guess they are rusted in place). Could be a good project for the boring Christmas / Pandemic time.

Edited by Constabulary

Ahh I did not see the matching  stand its sitting on, so that's worth a bit extra selling in UK for about £80 to £150 alone

If you keep looking you can buy one that actually works for that price.

You may spend 50 hours getting a rusty machine moving again only to find out it’s so worn it won’t sew.

That price is high. BUT  there is someone not far from me that is trying to sell one that does not work for $ 950.00.   YES $ 950.00.   She tells people it good but friend tried it and does not work.  Badly worn.

I would tackle this machine.  The 45k pictured was in similiar condition.  I will posted refurbished if

post is still up. These machines helped me make a living for 25years, starting with a $25 garage find.

Start with spraying with BD Blaster on all moving surfaces, every few days.  This can take weeks.

Then remove any parts like bobbin winder and screws.  Done worry about hook and bobbins are cheap.

Soak small parts in The Works its a drain cleaner and is disposable.  I than tum parts in a cheap HF tumbler

with a little dishwasher soap and water. (doesn't foam up).  Now once it's all cleaned and turning try to

stitch and see if it works.  If stitches are short or it won't sew, now is the time to research.  Restorers

are shimming gears and other parts. Facebook has "Singer 29k and other cobblers" which has good info.

Don't remove main shaft, and I hope flywheel isn't wobbly ( this too can be fixed). Personally I'm not a

fender polisher I clean oil and use my machines. I like those old stenciles.

45k76.jpg

This is the machine in question. I am posting here so the image is still available after the craigslist ad is gone.

rustbucket294-1.jpg

I am posting photos of two patchers I aquired in the last couple months. I paid the $200 asking price for the Adler 30-15. It is a short arm, small bobbin patcher that is in excellent shape. Cleaned up and oiled is sews just fine. It did not come with a stand. The other machine is a Singer 29-72, long arm, large bobbin. They were asking $100, but I paid them $200. I haven't done anything to it yet. It came on a Sutton motorized stand. It will need a little de-rusting but I think it will be the patcher I keep. I had to drive about 500 miles south to get the Adler and about 500 miles north to get the Singer. My point in posting this here is to show that there are better deals out there if you look for them. I would rather take a little mini vacation and see the sights when buying a good machine than spend more time trying to remove rust and locate hard to find parts.

adler-01.jpg

29k72-1.jpg

sutton-1.jpg

Edited by JJN

Here is one for sale in St Louis. Singer 29K51. $500

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/d/girard-antique-singer-sewing-machine/7242575473.html

singer2951.jpg

Edited by JJN

Hell, you can work by lantern light, and if sewing gets boring you can use the cream separator (thing with the three support arms) :)) 

@MikeRock, it is an interesting photo. Did you notice the sea turtle shells on the wall?

1 hour ago, JJN said:

I am posting photos of two patchers I aquired in the last couple months. I paid the $200 asking price for the Adler 30-15. It is a short arm, small bobbin patcher that is in excellent shape. Cleaned up and oiled is sews just fine. It did not come with a stand. The other machine is a Singer 29-72, long arm, large bobbin. They were asking $100, but I paid them $200. I haven't done anything to it yet. It came on a Sutton motorized stand. It will need a little de-rusting but I think it will be the patcher I keep. I had to drive about 500 miles south to get the Adler and about 500 miles north to get the Singer. My point in posting this here is to show that there are better deals out there if you look for them. I would rather take a little mini vacation and see the sights when buying a good machine than spend more time trying to remove rust and locate hard to find parts.

adler-01.jpg

Did you get the Adler from near Los Angeles about a month ago?   It looks great.   When I first saw the description and price I was convinced it’s worth picking up, but then the location was a deal breaker since we couldn’t get away for two days. Both are very nice indeed.

1 hour ago, JJN said:

Here is one for sale in St Louis. Singer 29K51. $500

Now that’s a decent price - heck I’d buy it if it were nearby.

10 minutes ago, DonInReno said:

Did you get the Adler from near Los Angeles about a month ago?   It looks great.   When I first saw the description and price I was convinced it’s worth picking up, but then the location was a deal breaker since we couldn’t get away for two days. Both are very nice indeed.

Hi Don, No I bought it in Fresno around the middle of August. I live in Grants Pass, Oregon but I used to live in Fresno. I had a friend pick it up for me and hold it until I went down to visit family a month later. The Adler is almost like new. The Singer was in Concrete, Washington in an open barn. If I know I will be visiting an area in the future, I look at the ads in that area and try to make the trip pay for itself. My wife has family in central California and likes to visit her mom regularly so it works out for both of us. We have a travel trailer (toy hauler) and can park it at my wife's family farm and stay about a week when we go.

1 hour ago, JJN said:

Hi Don, No I bought it in Fresno around the middle of August. I live in Grants Pass, Oregon but I used to live in Fresno. I had a friend pick it up for me and hold it until I went down to visit family a month later. The Adler is almost like new. The Singer was in Concrete, Washington in an open barn. If I know I will be visiting an area in the future, I look at the ads in that area and try to make the trip pay for itself. My wife has family in central California and likes to visit her mom regularly so it works out for both of us. We have a travel trailer (toy hauler) and can park it at my wife's family farm and stay about a week when we go.

Sounds like that works out quite well - you drive through a lot of good picking spots.            That’s a nice part of Oregon you’re in....the old growth forests nearby are quite amazing to hike through.

The places I seem to travel to to see family are like sewing machine deserts - industrials are few and far between.    It’s nice to get out of town for a day drive if a machine isn’t farther south than Stockton, farther north than Chico, and maybe west to north bay if it’s something really interesting.    The machines I regret not buying these past few years for my personal collection have all been a two day round trip to get and work just got in the way. Lol