Chris623

How to lighten polypropylene maul

I bought a nice Polypropylene Maul for myself as a Christmas Present.  Two days after it arrived, a friend gifted me a  20 oz Barry King tapered maul.  It's 4 oz over a pound and the one I bought is just a hair over a pound.  So I thought it would be a good idea to lighten the one I purchased enough that there was a difference between the two that was noticeable, thinking having two mauls of different weights would have merit.   Have never seen the inside of these mauls.  Thought there might be some weights inside that I might mess with.  Turns out when I took the maul apart I found all it was was a Polypropylene head with a hole drilled through it for the bolt that holds everything together.  Anyone lightened a maul who might have thoughts as to how I could lighten mine?

Have you access to a lathe? If you have, mount up the head and reduce its diameter

or cut a slice off the length

Unfortunately I sold all my lathes many years ago.  But the head doesn't weigh as much as the bolt..........I'm thinking.  Might take the bolt to a machine shop and have them cut down the diameter of the bolt...........leaving some areas full diameter so the head won't move around.  It's not like the bolt is under that much stress.

Drill the head full of holes.

1 minute ago, 327fed said:

Drill the head full of holes.

This^

I'd drill a few holes through the length of the head. It's a one #'r so it shouldn't be smacking anything too awfully hard and polypro is pretty resilient if you do. You could then paint the inside of the holes some contrasting color for fuller customization if they are visible.

Considered that already.................but that would soften the blow.  I used to own a plastic manufacturing company.  Believe me, those Polypropylene striking surfaces don't weigh much, so drilling some holes in the head won't pull out much weight.

Don’t think you can make it lighter and not soften the blow.