Somiskid

ARBOR PRESS FOR RIVETS AND SNAPS OR?????

Howdy Ya'll,

Can I use my arbor press to set rivets and snaps? Or is it better to get a press that's made for the specific job? 

If I can use my arbor press where and what dies do you use for the job?

Thanks!! 

Yes you can

Depending on your arbor press ram you may need to adapt it. Usually a hole of about 3/8 inch (9.5mm) needs drilling into it to take the parts, then you can use the parts meant for just about any press

I jot an arbor press and took it to a garage machinist and he bored a hole in the ram and another for a retention screw that I slide tools in for all my snaps, rivets, stamps, stitching chisels, round punches, Slot punches anything really. I'm looking for a drill chuck to slid in now so as to expand it even more. so IMHO get the thing that is cheaper, had more uses AND is expandable.

2 ton press was 75 to 80 USD

Ram Drilling 25 USD

Drill chuck 25 - 80 USD (though I haven't gotten the drill chuck and I'm using it now.)

That's what I use.

Mine came with a hole already bored in the ram and a retention screw, BUT inserting the setter into it won't hold it at a right angle and will press the snaps skewed towards one side, cutting the leather and ruining the project. I've been using rare earth magnets to hold the setter into place but the magnets get crushed and destroyed eventually. So, careful. You might be luckier with setting parts made for presses, though.

I have an arbor and a press to do snaps.

As others said,  the arbor will likely need boring out. 

The snap press needs to have a hole that will fit the snap dies. 

I bought a press and dies for double caps, line 20 and line 24s, and they have dozens of other dies for $30. 

Check www.goldstartool.com

Now, I've been thinking on either the arbor press (like I need an excuse to spend money at Harbor Freight!) or the "leather hole puncher" thingie I found on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TBKGFBW/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=A1CZK6KBEA5RDC&th=1)

I did spend the $$ last year on a press from Goldstar and wished I had done so long ago. But I can't do much else with it unless I have the right dies (got it used and it came with a bunch of dies).

So, what I'm thinking, is an arbor press with a DONUT SHAPED MAGNET! OMG why hasn't anyone mentioned this before???? This will hold your tool to the press and you won't be exerting any pressure on the magnet itself. It also has the advantage of not taking away from the space you have. Course I ask this now when I should have thought of this LAST YEAR before I got the Goldstar press. I'd better start selling my leather so BF doesn't give me too much grief for buying more tools! LOL

So now I'm going to measure the diameter of my tools so I know what magnets to order and then take the mess to HF and try them out in a press to see if it works. These are the donut magnets: https://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=16&scri=51&scri=52&scri=53

On 12/3/2021 at 8:28 AM, Atalanta said:

Now, I've been thinking on either the arbor press (like I need an excuse to spend money at Harbor Freight!) or the "leather hole puncher" thingie I found on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TBKGFBW/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=A1CZK6KBEA5RDC&th=1)

If you get that Amazon press, or if anybody else has it, I'd love to hear how it works for you. It looks like a great idea, but the reviews are mixed.

My wife uses that Amazon press to punch all of her holes.  She mainly makes items from Dieselpunk.ro and those patterns have a lot of stitching holes.

It seems to be fairly robust, but she mainly uses leather less than 6 oz.  Not sure how well it would work on heavier leather.

If you have any specific questions give her an email at Dee@1019leather.com

Hope this helps.

Allen

On 12/13/2021 at 6:43 AM, MedusaOblongata said:

If you get that Amazon press, or if anybody else has it, I'd love to hear how it works for you. It looks like a great idea, but the reviews are mixed.

I got a similar one on eBay and haven't put it through its paces yet (been doing smaller projects where using my awl was ok). I did use it to try out a 3-d printed stamp I got. I'll have to futz with it some more to get the impression more evenly pressed - I had to move the stamp and leather under the press end to make sure there was enough pressure. I used a metal hinge between the press head and so all the force wasn't focused on one place.

@acope I also use a lot of Dieselpunk patterns, just finished a hat that I love the way it turned out.