Aven

Edge Guide Recommendations

I'm  finding a huge price point difference in edge guides.  I'm willing to spend the money, if it's justified.  I found one on Ebay for about $40.  KG867 .

Keystone has one for $95  N800-075105 guide

Weaver want $270 for theirs Weavers roller guide

From what I can see, Weavers is roller only.  Keystone comes with a roller and a straight edge.  Of the three, Keystone is the only one that includes a bracket, but I'm not 100% sure Weaver doesn't.  The Ebay guide includes both a roller and a straight edge.  The bracket is not included.

Does anyone have any insight or experience with these guides?

Most of them are pretty much the same generic types as found on ebay and aliexpress. I bought two from aliexpress but had to make mounting brackets to fit my two machines. No big deal as all it needed was a bit of aluminium cut to shape and drilled. Mine have a slightly different shaped straight guide. If you pay the big money then I would expect them to be a straight bolt-on fit, if not you might as well save some money.

I've had a roller guide on a Ferdinand 900 B and never used it, traded up to a Cobra Class 4 without a guide and haven't wanted for one . I use a stitching groover and follow it with my eye... You might try stitching before you spend the $ on one, you may do just fine without it. I guess it also depends on what you are making as well.  

I do auto upholstery so a edge guide is useful.  I use those, cheap but nothing wrong about it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspended-Edge-Guide-for-Industrial-Sewing-Machine-Juki-DNU-241-1541-DSC-244-246/143603133045?hash=item216f69ea75:g:ANwAAOSwpAhc85qk

Thanks for the input guys.  I appreciate it. 

Cattledude, you may have a point.  I'm replacing the clutch with a servo and speed reducer.  I should be sew with more control and confidence.

I bought one of the cheep ones off eBay. Ni fond of it but it works. 
the $100 one from Leather machine company is by far better. $75 better well maybe not but it is better. 

21 hours ago, vblouindemers said:

I do auto upholstery so a edge guide is useful.  I use those, cheap but nothing wrong about it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspended-Edge-Guide-for-Industrial-Sewing-Machine-Juki-DNU-241-1541-DSC-244-246/143603133045?hash=item216f69ea75:g:ANwAAOSwpAhc85qk

Same as I bought, works fine for my needs.

Thanks for your insights.  I'll chew on this for a while while I wait for the contractor to pour the foundation for the shop.