JWheeler331

Rivet Covering Question

I recently got a sewing machine and in my excitement in finally getting to try it out after a week or so of practicing my stitching on it I made an absolutely dumb mistake on my part. 

I was making a pair of holsters for myself and I rushed. I rushed because I was so eager to try to sew an actual holster with it that I sewed it up before putting on the belt loop effectively making the holster useless. 

After racking my brain some I managed to rivet a belt loop on the holsters but was not able to bang the rivets in the leather enough so that they won't scratch the guns. 

My question is simple (maybe), Is there a way to do anything to make the rivets not scratch the guns? I would normally not use rivets this way but was just trying to salvage the holsters and since they are for myself I figured I would try. 

Is there anything that can be done now?  

IMG_1509_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

IMG_1508_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

A bit of goat skin with contact cement....?

30 minutes ago, Grumpymann said:

A bit of goat skin with contact cement....?

I did think about putting something like that in there and just gluing/cementing it in but wanted to get other ideas before doing that. It may be the only option. 

Yup. Goat or skive a piece of cow.  Pretty standard.

Do your gun a favor . . . put the holster in a pretty box . . . up on the shelf in a closet . . . inscribed with "My first holster".

Then go make one right . . . you are fretting over a few bucks worth of leather and a bit of thread . . . not worth it when you scratch the bluing off your gun . . . gouge the metal past "polishing out" . . . and seriously devalue that weapon.

Not worth it.

May God bless,

Dwight

1 hour ago, Rahere said:

You could always rip the sewing, do it right, and treat the machine holes as awl holes for hand sewing.

I second that  :) and then flatten the rivet once its ' open'  and then put a piece of roo skin or goat skin over it?  .....and put this down to a learning experience  :)

I do have a 15" piece of  2 x 1 Jarrah ( Aussie hard wood)  along with a  small setter &  anvil  for such occasions , as well as a few.....(um ...about a doz or more) ' shoe  lasts'  that I can put inside cases etc. in case I stuff up .....er .....' miscalculate  my decision making process' . 

Nice holster though  :)

HS 

10 hours ago, Dwight said:

Do your gun a favor . . . put the holster in a pretty box . . . up on the shelf in a closet . . . inscribed with "My first holster".

Then go make one right . . . you are fretting over a few bucks worth of leather and a bit of thread . . . not worth it when you scratch the bluing off your gun . . . gouge the metal past "polishing out" . . . and seriously devalue that weapon.

Not worth it.

May God bless,

Dwight

I am not really fretting over it. Just thought I would ask more experienced people than me. Unfortunately this is not my first holster. Just got in a rush and made a mistake. I will not use the holster if it will scratch the gun. That is why I was seeing what options I had out there. 

4 hours ago, Rahere said:

You could always rip the sewing, do it right, and treat the machine holes as awl holes for hand sewing.

Thanks. I have thought about doing that. I should have just done that from the moment I realized it but my better judgement did not come through on this one. :lol:

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I second that  :) and then flatten the rivet once its ' open'  and then put a piece of roo skin or goat skin over it?  .....and put this down to a learning experience  :)

I do have a 15" piece of  2 x 1 Jarrah ( Aussie hard wood)  along with a  small setter &  anvil  for such occasions , as well as a few.....(um ...about a doz or more) ' shoe  lasts'  that I can put inside cases etc. in case I stuff up .....er .....' miscalculate  my decision making process' . 

Nice holster though  :)

HS 

Indeed. I may do that or I will just scratch these and do a new proper pair. Thanks for the kind words though.