Ashley55

What size beveler?

I'm wondering if someone could help me figure out what size of beveler(s) I should get? I currently only have the Crafttool B701, which is fine for most things but is just too big for those small, finer spots- and I end up just mushing everything :wacko:

Tandy is the only store around, and even that is 1.5hrs away, plus covid so you can't go in. It's so hard to judge the pictures online, so I'm just not sure what exactly I need. If anyone could reccomend what size of bevelers are good for small/fine areas I would be very grateful!

B701 is a beveller with a fine check pattern on it?

I prefer smooth bevellers. B200, is about the same size as the 701, and a B935 is good for small tighter areas. Its about half the width of the 200

If you want to keep to the checks then a B936 would be the smaller size, just about half the width of the 701

To go any smaller you'd need to grind a beveller down with a dremel type motor tool

Also, have you tried tipping the beveller to the side to avoid any other work?

Thank you very much for the reply! Yes the 701 is checkered, although I am also curious to try smooth ones to see which I like better. 

I have tried tipping it to try and make it work, it helps but.... I'm still a beginner and my tool handling skills are not quite up to par just yet :blush:

I use craftool B198 as my every day beveler, and the B936 for smaller places, plus B902 for corners and sharp points. you can get smaller bevelers than these but they are in the F series{ ie figure carving} pl;us they are also smooth faced. you would have to practice with them awhile to get used to them. the smallest one will act like a punch if you hit it too hard{ don't ask how I know that} hope this helps

My smooth bevelers: Craftool B395 (for small spaces) and Craftool B203 (medium). I use these most often. 
I have one checked beveler which I use not too often (Craftool B936). that's apparently narrower than the one you mentioned in your original post. 

I havent' seen these up close and personal, but if I was looking for bevelers I'd give these a try. Price isn't bad comparatively, and the impressions look good.  Nice to have a SET whre the face is all the same... narrow ones for tight turns, the wider ones for broad lines and borders will save a lot of time over using teh small ones - and the textures will MATCH 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Craft-Japan-Checkered-Beveler-Stamps-4-Piece-Set-Leather-Stamping-Tools/391858490975?hash=item5b3c960e5f:g:i0cAAOSwlshetqns

I know they're pricey but Barry King steep bevelers transformed my floral carving work. I've got both the steepest and next steep 3 widths each and I don't ever touch my old bevelers.

On 1/3/2021 at 4:40 PM, Outfitr said:

I know they're pricey but Barry King steep bevelers transformed my floral carving work. I've got both the steepest and next steep 3 widths each and I don't ever touch my old bevelers.

Same.  I cut my teeth on the Tandy starting kit and bought a few others from the store thinking it would help but the extra steep bevelers from Barry King is now my 'go to'.  

On 1/3/2021 at 4:40 PM, Outfitr said:

Can we set some?  Like to see the old versus the new, but willing to settle for just the new ;)

On 5/7/2021 at 6:09 AM, JLSleather said:

Can we set some?  Like to see the old versus the new, but willing to settle for just the new ;)

ok, here's some coasters I've been doing....nothing special......and no, not gonna show old stuff ha

3coaster.jpg

4coaster.jpg

I think they look very nice.  I especially like the one with the colored background.

Can you show us what these bevelers look like, please?

There is a picture in one of the coaster.  Difference in bevelers is as follow:

Standard bevelers (Tandy)   15 degree slope

Barry King steep.              30 degree slope

Barry King extra steep.      45 degree slope

Hope this helps

21 hours ago, Outfitr said:

ok, here's some coasters I've been doing....nothing special......and no, not gonna show old stuff ha

There ya go ;)  Looks like ya got it figgered.  And you at least sometimes "shade" before you 'bevel" (me, too).

Not all of the Craftool / Tandy stamps I've seen have the same angle, but I certainly have seen some that were too "flat" for general beveling (though, there's a place for that too).

23 hours ago, JLSleather said:

There ya go ;)  Looks like ya got it figgered.  And you at least sometimes "shade" before you 'bevel" (me, too).

Not all of the Craftool / Tandy stamps I've seen have the same angle, but I certainly have seen some that were too "flat" for general beveling (though, there's a place for that too).

Thanks. I feel that these bevelers give me the depth and relief I was looking for. Certainly a work in progress.