TomG

Looking for Rivets

I am looking for the below rivets without much success.
I need double cap, solid brass that have posts longer 1/2".
I have tried OTB, Buckle Guy, Beiler's, Tandy, CDW, McMaster-Carr, Hanson and a number of the sites that pop up on a Google search.
Do any of you have a source that might have something?
Oh, and no, I can't use copper rivets. Bummer.

Thanks

Ask Le Prevo about DC 11-15 on this page

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/rivets.htm

I have some of these and they're brass metal, plated nickel in my case. But I bought them a long time ago and the newer stock may be different

HE H HE

Hey Tom.  Brother looks like you are going to be drug in and educated on the metric system. lol

do not feel bad, I was handed a set of blue prints to build 4 -3 story USAF Barracks  n Colorado.  I handed the print back and said that crap is mm

I dont do mm.  Boss grinned and said well if you dont the guy that replaces you will.  

I do mm now.  

Hahaha. Yeah, I learned metric a long time ago. I actually like it better as it's much easier to scale things.

Fred and Latigo. I took a look. Unfortunately, they are both a tad too short. The 15mm would barely poke through the stack of leather. 16mm or 5/8" would be the absolute minimum to hold properly

4 minutes ago, TomG said:

Fred and Latigo. I took a look. Unfortunately, they are both a tad too short. The 15mm would barely poke through the stack of leather. 16mm or 5/8" would be the absolute minimum to hold properly

u asked for post longer than 1/2" - 15mm is longer :showoff:

if serious, why not take the excess off the layer? it will win you couple mm

Double cap rivets with longer stems than 1/2" (13mm) are relatively rare. I've used 15mm (a blonde one under 5/16") before but can't think of many greater than that. I've just had a glance over Aliexpress and I struggled to find any offering anything over 13mm.

Looks like you may have to alter your design or change your choice of fasteners. What about Chicago screws/binding posts/sex bolts, or brass saddlers rivets?

10 hours ago, nrk said:

u asked for post longer than 1/2" - 15mm is longer :showoff:

if serious, why not take the excess off the layer? it will win you couple mm

Yes, it is. Not enough though.

I have had to skive the the piece of the strap that I fold into a handle, but the customer isn't happy with how 'thin' it makes it.

9 hours ago, Matt S said:

Double cap rivets with longer stems than 1/2" (13mm) are relatively rare. I've used 15mm (a blonde one under 5/16") before but can't think of many greater than that. I've just had a glance over Aliexpress and I struggled to find any offering anything over 13mm.

Looks like you may have to alter your design or change your choice of fasteners. What about Chicago screws/binding posts/sex bolts, or brass saddlers rivets?

Yeah, I checked Ali as well. This is a long-time, repeat customer. I have used Chicago screws since day one. He has had some of the screws strip out (threads) early on and wants to now use rivets, as he feels they will be stronger. I've always felt that the failed screws were a defective batch as they all happened in the same time frame. No failures in a few years.
Plus, I think he likes the smaller head of the rivet.
Chicago screws actually worked well, but were a PITA to install. I had to use 1/2" on some parts and 3/8" on others. Plus, 12 identical pieces might need the 1/2" or the 3/8" depending on the leather thickness. They have to be snug with no slop through the leather.
Since the Chicago screws give me longer reach, the available sizes always worked.

I am not familiar with saddlers rivets by that name. What are they ?

5 minutes ago, TomG said:

The copper & washer rivets you don't want to or cannot use

On 12/16/2020 at 1:30 AM, TomG said:

On 12/16/2020 at 1:36 AM, fredk said:

The copper & washer rivets you don't want to or cannot use

Yep, but it's a generic name for the style, independent of material. You can get them in brass with little trouble, and sometimes aluminium.

8 hours ago, Matt S said:

Yep, but it's a generic name for the style, independent of material. You can get them in brass with little trouble, and sometimes aluminium.

Do double caps fall into that category?