years ago I bought a spray gun to use for applying resolene and dyes for commercial projects, but the resolene never really worked well. I was plagued with clogs and went back to sponge applications. I recently acquired an air brush for an unrelated project but thought it mighty be ideal for applying resolene. I did a quick test. The finish was perfect but the air brush clogged pretty quickly and required a through cleaning to remove the resolene gunk.

If anyone id using resolene in an airbrush, what dilutions are you using and what dilutant.

I am using acrylic paints for my other project and am also thinking of using paints to dyes to accent some of my products. I currently use inexpensive metallic acrylic paints and they hold up as well or better than the dedicated leather paints with a vast selection of colors.

Thanks!

Bob

Bob,

I use Resolene in my airbrush diluted 1:1 with water. Usually two or three light coats.

I've been using Golden acrylics for paint and they've worked very well for me. There are some other Golden products I'd like to try with leather but I haven't had the time to fool around with them yet.

Regards,

Arturo

Couple of questions for you. Are you cutting your resolene 50/50 with water when spraying? How much resolene are you adding to the airbrush? I'd imagine your previous experience you used a spray gun with a large reservoir and not something as small as an airbrush reservoir? 

I've had no issues spraying out of a badger 105 airbrush with resolene cut 50/50 or with the Angelus acrylic sealer. I do clean it immediately afterwards with some windshield wiper fluid and then blow it out with some water to avoid clogs or build up from either product.

Edited by ScottWolf

Thanks to both of you. Cutting the resolene 1:1 with distilled water. The bottle I am using is a few years old, but I just purchased a fresh quart. I use a blend of isopropyl, windex and distilled water as a cleaner. I may try using my ultrasonic cleaner if I still get gunk.

I have been looking at a Badger for my next brush. Are you happy with it?

Thanks,

Bob

1 hour ago, BDAZ said:

Thanks to both of you. Cutting the resolene 1:1 with distilled water. The bottle I am using is a few years old, but I just purchased a fresh quart. I use a blend of isopropyl, windex and distilled water as a cleaner. I may try using my ultrasonic cleaner if I still get gunk.

Thanks,

Bob

The Badger 105 is a good airbrush, about middle of the road price and quality wise. You can find them around $90-100 brand new. I don't know if you're spraying large or a lot of items at once, so if you are, the reservoir is not that big compared to airbrushes that feed from the bottom from a small bottle. If that is the case, it may not be your best bet.  But the 105 is easy to take apart, clean and works hassle free in my experience. 

Edited by ScottWolf

1 hour ago, BDAZ said:

Thanks,

Bob

Use your 'cleaner' to dilute the Resolene. The 'windex', if its like our 'windowlene',  will slow the drying of the Resolene a bit, meaning not so much drying on your needle tip

Also consider a needle-less spray brush.

I have a few different types of spray brush and for larger areas, quicker cover and more available fluid I prefer a basic needle-less type.

Like this one; a Badger 250

yhst-172526971-2_2508_128461628.jpg?resi

It can be bought complete for under $20. Other makes of similar style are available, the cheapest I've seen costs about $10

It works on a simple venturi effect of air causing a suction and atomisation*  of the fluid. No needles to clean, just that tube and nipple up from the jar. The spray pattern can be adjusted from about a Quarter (25c) size upwards

* I'm probably wrong describing its working

I currently have a brand X that came with my compressor. It's similar in design to the badger if not in quality. Capacity is adequate. I did pick up a syphon brush from Harbor Freight for the occasional larger project.

Thanks!

Bob

Thanks Fred,

Great suggestion. I'll order one today.

Where in the North are you? Lived in the Republic in the 70s and spent time in Mayo Bridge and Derry. I organize a festival in Lisdoonvarna every year and just made it home in March! Probably the last festival held in Ireland this year.

www.irisholdtime.com

Bob

2 minutes ago, BDAZ said:

Where in the North are you? Lived in the Republic in the 70s and spent time in Mayo Bridge and Derry. I organize a festival in Lisdoonvarna every year and just made it home in March! Probably the last festival held in Ireland this year.

I'm in Donaghadee. About 20 miles east of Belfast. Just on the north-east edge of the Irish Sea and almost where Belfast / Carrick Lough opens.

I know both Mayo Bridge and Stroke-City. Never lived in either but visited often enough

I had to look up Lisdoonvarna. I reckon I've been through it at some time. I've been through most places here. I was once a car rally photographer so I spent a lot of time chasing cars and going thru middle-of-nowhere places

No festivals or car rallies, no nothing, anywhere here this past year.

13 minutes ago, BDAZ said:

Great suggestion. I'll order one today.

Harbor Freight have one for $9.99

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air-spray-guns/air-brushes-kits/34-and-3-oz-airbrush-kit-62294.html

49 minutes ago, fredk said:

I'm in Donaghadee. About 20 miles east of Belfast. Just on the north-east edge of the Irish Sea and almost where Belfast / Carrick Lough opens.

I know both Mayo Bridge and Stroke-City. Never lived in either but visited often enough

I had to look up Lisdoonvarna. I reckon I've been through it at some time. I've been through most places here. I was once a car rally photographer so I spent a lot of time chasing cars and going thru middle-of-nowhere places

No festivals or car rallies, no nothing, anywhere here this past year.

I was an architectural photographer in Dublin in the early 70s and did the pics for the Doors of Dublin poster and the Book of Kells used on the "new" Irish currency, as well as lots of boring progress shots and a few interesting buildings. My main interest was Irish trad, and I stayed with the Sands in Mayo Bridge and hung out with a lot of the now famous musicians in Dublin, like Christy Moore, Billy Connolly, etc. I play with a Piper from Belfast who came over with a band of young musicians in the early 90s called The Antrim Tantrums.

Was in a Bluegrass Irish fusion band a few years ago and we toured for a couple of weeks. we stayed in Bangor for a few days and played at this pub which was outside of Bangor...

I haven't touched an instrument since I got home in mid march!

46 minutes ago, fredk said:

Actually bought one yesterday but it's got non standard fittings, really flimsy and has a 1/4" adapter for a standard compressor. Bringing it back today!! The Badger looks much better!

Bob

Bluegrass-Jam-Bangor.jpg

Edited by BDAZ

I use a cheap Amazon airbrush to spray Resolene, I cut it 1:1 also, the only problem I’ve had is subsequent coats need to be very light or any low spots tend to pool and dry that way, I’ve used just the air to try and even it out before it drys but it still leaves a spot. Because I live in California, we can not buy any thing but water based, acrylic dyes and if you apply too heavy, the dye will lift. I watched my neighbor smoke a legal joint and I’m considering getting some illegal dye!?! 

I was having issues with clogging on the cheap brush that came in the "kit". I purchased a decent airbrush; a Badger Patriot. Not top of the line but it comes with a .05 needle and the needle is double tapered so it has a large range from heavy to fine. It does a fantastic job of applying resolene evenly and is very cost effective. I guess I use half of what I would usually wipe on and it has the advantage of not disturbing any painted features and absolutely no streaking. A couple of light coats and "Ship it"  

There are a number of acrylic finishes available for airbrushing as well as for sealing art and wood and painting model airplanes. Quite frankly I haven't noticed any difference between resolene and some of the other products. I'm sure it's all pretty much the same stuff. I suspect resolene is over priced!

I have a large wholesale job I am about to start and I suspect the airbrush will save me a lot of time and $$$ and will probably pay for itself on this one project alone.

Bob

Edited by BDAZ

Cutting 1:1 water to resolene, ike most on here.  The airbrush came from the local craftstore, probably a middle of the road quality airbrush.  For daily cleaning when I'm using it a few times a week, my cleanup is to SUBMERGE the intake and spray tip in a cup of water, preferably warm, and SPRAY underwater.  It will run water through the whole working parts.  It's a quick cleanup and usually works well for a day-to-day clean.  I still pull it apart and clean with airbrush specific brushes at least a couple times a month.  So far, so good for a couple years on this brush.

Edited by Brooks125

I have found an inexpensive excellent cleaner is windshield washer liquid. Another technique is thin 1:1 with 70% distilled water and 30% Isopropyl Alcohol (91% -99%). It flows better and dries faster. Alot of the online brushes come with .02 needles, good for painting,  but for apply resolene you need a .05 and around 25 psi

Bob

If you can wait for the month or so for it to arrive...

I use a Nasedal purchased from AliExpress.  It's gravity feed and comes with a 20cc and 40cc reservoir and three (3) needles (0.2, 0.3, 0.5).  I find it great for the items I've started to do, however, for large/bulk quantity items it may not be as useful (only because you would have to keep filling the reservoirs).  Best part is the price.... CAD29 (includes shipping) so for British pounds approx 19 pounds which includes shipping (Same price, about 19 Euro for Ireland).  I purchased another Nasedal (about CAD10 more) that had a metal reservoir in the body and it listed as use in Makeup and Face Paint.  I found it sprayed too much dye/paint/ink until I got used to it.  The hole where the dye goes into the body is larger than the other airbrush, but this airbrush came with a hose and cleaning tools (unfortunately this one is no longer available)

The only problems I have encountered is with the water-based leather dye as it was 'lumping' a little.  Increased the air pressure and no problems now.  I use straight resolene after heat setting the inks/dyes and haven't had an issue.  I'm using about 20psi pressure for resolene and leather dye and just under 10 for the airbrush acrylics (Jacquard Dyno-Flow).  For cleaning, I clean with water and then run some Windex through the airbrush.  

How many coats of Resolene should I expect to have to spray (Badger 250, 50/50 with water) to get a seal good enough to prevent bleeding for a wallet?  Used Fiebings OxBlood, 2 coats airbrushed.  Desire is for the wallet not to turn all the money/contents & pockets red or pink when in use!

If not resolene, what other finishes are suggested to seal up a brightly dyed wallet to prevent dying your back pocket?

Thanks!

Try 'Mop and Glo' (name?) floor polish - 2 coats

On 3/5/2021 at 4:48 PM, fredk said:

Try 'Mop and Glo' (name?) floor polish - 2 coats

I buy the 32 oz [  0.9 kilogram]    for around $7.00 usd

or you can buy  Resolene  4oz  [1.1 kilogram]   from a leather supplier for $6.00 usd 

your choice.  wink.jpg.a067794c70ab6b5ef8fd6ff8fc70d998.jpg

Found out something else also.  paint  resolene on the edge of scrap of chrome tan.  let dry then burnish

tell me what you find out. 

1034554038_mopnglo.thumb.jpeg.cdd06b6558aaf312fe3faa7ca747a626.jpeg