Rachal

Sewing machine models for carpet binding/auto upholstery

Hi everyone. I've been having a hard time finding information on this or finding sewing machines that aren't $1500+ used. 

I'm looking to find an industrial walking foot sewing machine for my at home projects. I will be doing carpet binding (pile height is 9mm) along with some odd auto upholstery jobs. What makes and models are recommended? Every machine I find usually can only just fit 9mm underneath or less. 

On the less expensive side depending on how much your carpet pile will compress and the type of backing on the underside of the carpeting. Your portable sewing machines may do the job and fairly inexpensive on the used market. Those that may work could possibly be your Sailrite LZ (USA), Techsew 611(Quebec) , Reliable Barracuda (Ontario) but check with the suppliers and if possible test drive with a piece of carpet using the thread and binding you are planning on using.

kgg

Hi Rachal,

you can buy a brand new Consew 206rb5 for about 1450.00 minutes Zamir sewing on eBay the foot lift 9/16” or 14.25mm you’ll need  a speed reducer but off hand I can’t think how much they cost.

consew makes premier series also.

you an also check with Bob at Toledo sewing machines.

good luck

23 hours ago, Rachal said:

Hi everyone. I've been having a hard time finding information on this or finding sewing machines that aren't $1500+ used. 

I'm looking to find an industrial walking foot sewing machine for my at home projects. I will be doing carpet binding (pile height is 9mm) along with some odd auto upholstery jobs. What makes and models are recommended? Every machine I find usually can only just fit 9mm underneath or less. 

First, look for industrial sewing machine dealers nearby (meaning driving distance). Ask any who are still in business and answer the phone what makes and models of walking foot machines they stock that can actually sew 10mm and clear at least 12mm with the feet lifted. Next, ask if they can set it up with the proper bias tape folder and supply the spools of bias tape and a table mounting bracket. Your best option will be a dedicated Apex or similar carpet binding machine.

Note, that carpet binding for vehicles is different than for room carpets. Those are often sewn by machine that has a motorized puller wheel behind the needle and foot/feet. Smaller carpets for cars and boats can be sewn on regular table mounted walking foot machines.

If you don't plan on using the same machine to sew leather, you can opt for a dual feed machine that has teeth on the feet. They provide better feeding of difficult materials.

Your dealer should advise you about all the details if they have any experience with carpet sewing machines.

Should local sources not pan out, contact Techsew in Montreal. They advertise here and Ron, the primary contact, is extremely knowledgeable. They sell and repair all manner of industrial sewing machines. Make sure that the location flag in the upper right shows the Canadian flag for your geo-location and a proper response in CDN.

A used but well-tuned long-arm Singer 144, 145 with a handwheel is the first thing I would think of if I had to do it.

16 hours ago, Union Level Leather said:

you can buy a brand new Consew 206rb5 for about 1450.00 minutes Zamir sewing on eBay

Did you read the O.P's profile? She lives in Canada. A machine bought from a USA seller will cost about twice as much after paying shipping, duty, brokerage, GST and converting the weaker Canadian dollar.

20 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

First, look for industrial sewing machine dealers nearby (meaning driving distance). Ask any who are still in business and answer the phone what makes and models of walking foot machines they stock that can actually sew 10mm and clear at least 12mm with the feet lifted. Next, ask if they can set it up with the proper bias tape folder and supply the spools of bias tape and a table mounting bracket. Your best option will be a dedicated Apex or similar carpet binding machine.

Note, that carpet binding for vehicles is different than for room carpets. Those are often sewn by machine that has a motorized puller wheel behind the needle and foot/feet. Smaller carpets for cars and boats can be sewn on regular table mounted walking foot machines.

If you don't plan on using the same machine to sew leather, you can opt for a dual feed machine that has teeth on the feet. They provide better feeding of difficult materials.

Your dealer should advise you about all the details if they have any experience with carpet sewing machines.

Should local sources not pan out, contact Techsew in Montreal. They advertise here and Ron, the primary contact, is extremely knowledgeable. They sell and repair all manner of industrial sewing machines. Make sure that the location flag in the upper right shows the Canadian flag for your geo-location and a proper response in CDN.

Thanks so much for your kind replies. I'm currently talking with my local tailor who may has some friends that own sewing machine stores. If nothing pans out for me I will get in touch with techsew. 

Just keep in mind that there is General Industrial Sewing Machine in Toronto. Try to deal with Neal (Or is his name Niel? Can't remember what his card looks like.), if you can get hold of him.

Edited by DrmCa

I would look for a used Pfaff 145 / 545 - you get some fair priced after market synchronized binder sets for these machines. You of course may need a different binder depending on your binding tape and material you want to use.

Just a quick google search sample:

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/33004211228.html

Lot at this video from min. 7:10 and onward - they are using a 545 (I guess) with a synchronized binder setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n43gf0EHUU8

There are other machine brands too that can do the same work but finding parts for the Pfaff in terms of synchronized edge binding is easy and fairly cheap.

Edited by Constabulary

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

I would look for a used Pfaff 145 / 545

Here in Ontario, Canada the Pfaff's aren't very common and can be expensive to repair. If I am not mistaken the Pfaff 145 and 545 are older versions of the 1245. I have a German casted 1245 706/47 walking foot with a clutch motor that I am planning on selling.

kgg

So I got lucky and found myself a juki Lu 563! Purchased for $800 from a sewing machine repairman. I was going to wait it out and buy a juki from a company in Toronto, but the covid lockdown has no end in sight and I couldn't pass this up.

Advice and Information is welcome and appreciated with this machine! Thanks to everyone who helped aswell!

Congratulations on your Juki  LU-563, they’re very nice machines. There’s plenty of topics here on LW about that machine to read up on (search Google for “site:leatherworker.net Juki 563”). Start a new topic if you have specific questions.