One of my most recent customer projects

6 slot card holder in burgundy buttero. Fully lined inner pocket with turned edge. Hand stitched with burgundy waxed linen thread spaced at 3.38mm..edge paint is fenice burgundy.

comments and critiques always welcome =)

thanks for looking!!

28964210-5819-42C1-B368-4C56DD9BCCAD.jpeg

4F9F09AF-D455-4C3A-B54C-CA2EC25A2B9B.jpeg

E2081AFC-AC3E-49AC-B74D-0FCD0F04E5E8.jpeg

432F3D05-48FD-4F6D-AABD-901AC44FCAB0.jpeg

78CB28FD-6D2C-4EBA-BC81-894BCF779C76.jpeg

3D4CDA8C-0A77-47CF-84AB-104B4AA29D89.jpeg

super nice work

Beautiful!

15 hours ago, Adonis said:

super nice work

14 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Beautiful!

Thank you guys I really appreciate you checking out my work :thumbsup:

20 hours ago, CastleLeatherWorks said:

Thank you guys I really appreciate you checking out my work :thumbsup:

really nice work!!

do you make the holes w a sewing machine and then handstitch??

On 12/20/2020 at 3:09 AM, thekid77 said:

really nice work!!

do you make the holes w a sewing machine and then handstitch??

no sewing machine just french style 3.38 pricking irons from wuta.

What's the trick to getting such nicely burnished sides?  I'm struggling getting mine to not still show some lines of separation between layers.  Thanks, & wonderful piece!

3 minutes ago, BenjaminKortz said:

What's the trick to getting such nicely burnished sides?  I'm struggling getting mine to not still show some lines of separation between layers.  Thanks, & wonderful piece!

On this card holder and everything i make for that matter i allow some excess material to be cut away to leave me with my finish dimension (so i make the pockets oversized then trim, so i am left with a nice straight cut) instead of trying to square up and fight with 4/5 glued layers of leather that aren't lined up..if that makes sense.

Then i break the edge and burnish with tokonole 2/3 times sanding with finer grits of sandpaper in between.

you can then either dye you're edge and burnish and polish that up or you can do like myself and apply several layers of edge paint sanded in between layers till you get the desired edge you're looking for lol

admittedly iam working on my burnished and dyed edges still. that is why i find it easier to use edge paint because i can achieve a cleaner finish until my skills improve.

31 minutes ago, CastleLeatherWorks said:

On this card holder and everything i make for that matter i allow some excess material to be cut away to leave me with my finish dimension (so i make the pockets oversized then trim, so i am left with a nice straight cut) instead of trying to square up and fight with 4/5 glued layers of leather that aren't lined up..if that makes sense.

Then i break the edge and burnish with tokonole 2/3 times sanding with finer grits of sandpaper in between.

you can then either dye you're edge and burnish and polish that up or you can do like myself and apply several layers of edge paint sanded in between layers till you get the desired edge you're looking for lol

admittedly iam working on my burnished and dyed edges still. that is why i find it easier to use edge paint because i can achieve a cleaner finish until my skills improve.

So that's to say that edge paint may help to mask some of the burnished edges' visible lines, better than just straight dye?  What edge paint do you like?

Thanks for the feedback!

11 minutes ago, BenjaminKortz said:

So that's to say that edge paint may help to mask some of the burnished edges' visible lines, better than just straight dye?  What edge paint do you like?

Thanks for the feedback!

yes the edge paint will help mask some imperfections in your finished edge because of the layers being built up but its still a task to get it to look nice on top of not getting paint all over your creation.

. i feel like its harder to achieve the edge i want with just alcohol dye in my experience so far.

Ive been making leather goods for almost 2 years and i feel like im barely getting decent results. lol

I am quite critical of my work though.