Dogfisher

Quiet stamping workbench.

I usually make my own workbenches and I was wondering if anyone has a trick to dampen the noise from stamping? I use a granite slab on my shop bench and it's too loud to work after I put my kids to bed.

you'll never quieten the noise of the hammering still using a mallet. I changed to using a press, a Tandy one. I can do virtually all my stamp impressions with it, any time night or day. In fact, its 02.43 here and I did some stamp impressions about an hour ago. My neighbours don't hear the press,

I'm sorry, I meant the noise of tooling and punching straps.

Dogfisher, I think that's what FredK was talking about.  Using an arbor press to do tooling and punch with instead of using a maul.

Under my granite slab I have a 6mm rubber mat, that deadens some sounds

My combo (that's the key) was a solid (welded steel) bench, 6" thick (gravestone) granite and rawhide mauls. Result was thunk, thunk (barely discernible for most stamping to solid whack for cutting 1 3/4" or 2" pointed straps. At comparable weights poly was a little louder than rawhide

You may deaden sound between the bench and the granite with some rubber sheeting but you're gonna have a hard time dampening the noise between the tool and the thing striking it.

I realize the tooling will create noise. It's my bench the amplifies the noise. Suring up the bench and the rubber mat might work. Thanks for all the input.

I use a great big 2” thick slab of granite, on top of a very dense (and heavy) 1” thick anti vibration type rubber block.    This all sits on a solid wooden bench, which sits on four offcuts of the rubber block.    I’ve done the same with the bench I use for punching holes,  and suchlike.

All a bit of overkill, no doubt, but since I moved my workshop from a room with a concrete floor, to a room with a wooden floor, I became aware of the possibility of sound travelling through the floor.    It makes not one jot of difference to the sound of mallet on stamp, but I feel happier about cutting out as much unnecessary  noise as possible.    The rest I can live with.

On 12/21/2020 at 12:37 AM, Dogfisher said:

I realize the tooling will create noise. It's my bench the amplifies the noise. Suring up the bench and the rubber mat might work. Thanks for all the input.

I have an off-cut  piece of 2" marble approx 14 x 12" , with a piece of foam/rubber carpet under-lay approx 1/2 thick, folded over . 

You could always check for any vibrations, or  screws etc . on the bench that may need to be tightened, if any ? just a thought . 

HS