I've been using barge contact cement and as you all know, it smells like some poison. I am looking to replace that with some white water-based glues. Can anyone make some recommendations? Something that can create strong bond like barge but not as smelly. 

I prefer to use Renia - Aquilim 315 for most of my gluing needs.  Renia has a contact cement that I haven't tried yet, but if it's as good of a product as the Aquilim 315, I'll happily toss the Barge.  Unless you live close to someone that carries Renia, you really should wait until spring.  Freezing temps during transportation could ruin the glue.

Renia Aquilim 315 and Ecostick 1816B are two popular water based contact adhesives. I use 315 and happy with that glue. (Haven't tried 1816B)

A tip if you dilute 315 with water, use VERY LITTLE water. It requires very little water for thinning it out, and if you use too much you loose a lot of bonding strength. With just a small amount it's just as strong as new. (It get's a little thicker with time.)

Edited by Danne

I use the Aquilim 315 as well and have had great results and no failures or issues. 

I recently switched from Barge to Aquilim contact cement. So far so good. Nice not to have those fumes. And I also got a glue pot for the Aquilim which is working great.

Aquilium 315 is good. I still prefer the smelly stuff over it for bond strength but I can use it in the house. I haven't had it fail but during testing, it will come apart where Barge seems to tear the leather apart with it.

#15 is good stuff, don't get me wrong but it isn't as strong as Barge. Unless you are making working reins or something I think you'd be fine.

I'm not impressed with the 315.  Kind of thin and runny/messy.  It seems to make snot boogers when sanding the seams and they just stick and roll around.  It is a glue that I really want to like but I just can't.  I've had some failures but maybe it was my fault?  I've never tried Barge but I use Weldwood contact cement.  I don't mind the smell.  In my mind, when it comes to adhesives, paints and cleaning products, the more warning labels, the better the product.

I find the Aquilim doesn't seem to set the same way that Barge does. Not so much a problem when hand stitching but it seems to pull up on the needle when machine sewing. Little, snotty goo balls. I asked about this a while ago on the Sewing Machine thread here, my concern being what's going down into the machine. Since then I've gone back to using Barge.