Sign in to follow this  
Wisdomsleather

Thick wallets and chisels

Soo been sticking to thinner wallets mostly cause when I go to make thick wallets my stitch lines are impossible keep straight. when punching through 4 pieces leather.might be because using 4/5 once leather.do you like to pre punch your holes or just punch through 4 pieces leather tried using ruler make straight lines instead of wing dividers that kinda helps little what’s y’all suggestions .

E9721235-A793-4FD1-B365-93ECBF5EBAD5.jpeg

I mostly use kangaroo hide for wallets now . I tried making  wallets  with thicker leathers , but ran into problems, apart from the practical issues . By the time peeps put cash, cards and the kitchen  sink into the wallet, its like having a ' brick' in their back pocket. 

You may wish to try pre-punching the leather first. But you'll have to make sure all the holes line up .   Try it on some scraps first. 

HS

Everyone has different tastes to be sure, but in my opinion that wallet is way too thick.  There is no need for pockets to be any more than 2 oz. or so in my opinion.  I typically use 4 oz. for the outside and 2 oz. for the interior.

The other thing you can do is skive the perimeter of the pockets to remove some bulk.  Many do that even with thinner leathers.   By the time you fill that wallet with cash and cards it is going to be pushing an inch thick.  

I would only recommend to use thinner leather. i like to use 1.0/1.5 oz leather to keep things from getting to bulky but i also make my wallets fully lined so it doubles up the thickness in some parts.. 

also skive all the inner pockets to reduce bulk wherever i can. it works for my style but i try to make "higher end" looking items as opposed to the crafty style alot of people are into.

Exactly what Tugadude said. That wallet is a solid 3/4" folded and empty.

I use 3-4oz for exterior, 1oz for interiors, 4oz for interiors is way too thick.