Hags

Snap on holster for a Glock 19

A friend asked if I could come up with a holster that he could take off/on easily when he needed to. I modified my pancake pattern yet another variant. 

Might make a couple of these for myself.

Hermann Oak 7/8 veg tan

Fiebings light brown pro dye with neatsfoot oil after drying

Line 24 snaps

Sewn on a Cobra class 3, 277 top and bottom, #24 needle.

Wet-molded in my new vacuum rig. Thanks Adam's leather works, great video and parts list! So much cleaner!

Resolene, water 50/50 2 coats

IMG_20201220_204016_571.jpg

Hags, this is absolutely beautiful!!!

Thanks you for sharing.

I would kindly suggest that you use "pull the dot" snaps instead of the standard snaps shown. Over very little time and or from not being properly seated, regular snaps have a tendency to come undone/release un expectantly. Its for this reason that just about all of the holster makers in the firearms industry use pull the dot snaps for attachments to ones body/belt. And let me tell you, there is nothing worse than drawing your pistol and having the holster come flying off your waist and or stay attached to the pistol. I have had this happen with several holsters I've used over the years and had students have this very issue during one of my classes.

As an aside, you will probably also be interested in looking at incorporating/using DCC clips ( Discreet Carry Concept) into your holsters. They offer excellent retention, conceal ability and versatility. It's what a lot of holster makers in the industry are moving towards and or offering as a user option when ordering these days.  

https://discreetcarryconcepts.com

Edited by ScottWolf

Damn nice looking rig!! I hate having to get "undressed" to take my holster off, so I made some "J" hooks of my own. Been using the same holster for 5 or 6 years now

I'm giving the pull the dots a look but thought they would just about have to open the same direction... I'm still going to get some to try.

Don't care for the belt clips for holsters,  cool for mag pouches though.

57 minutes ago, Hags said:

I'm giving the pull the dots a look but thought they would just about have to open the same direction... I'm still going to get some to try.

Don't care for the belt clips for holsters,  cool for mag pouches though.

The benefit of pull the dot snaps over standard snaps is their ability to resist inadvertently un snapping from anything but a direct linear pulling down on the snap itself. So things like bending over, twisting, any normal movement , to include force on force having another person trying to pull your pistol/holster off of you, will not cause the snap to come undone. This is especially beneficial when its used as an attachment/retention method on holsters, which is pretty much as an industry standard found on quality holsters, be it kydex or leather. 

I can understand your dislike of clips, as historically, they have all been substandard and or cheaply made, be it a FOMI clip or the super cheap metal money clip type clips found on every cheap holster ever made. However, I will say this, DCC clips are not like anything you've probably ever used before in regards to their ability to retain an item/holster to the wearer and not bend out of shape over time. There is a very good reason why they are extremely popular in the firearms training industry right now. Short of fixed loops, the DCC clip is an excellent option for IWB holster retention. The best part, is that they are relatively inexpensive and can be retro fitted on most kydex holsters and or built into leather ones. Builders like 5 shot leather, Bitterroot, Milt Sparks are offering them as a user option to customers.  

5 shot backside.jpg

5 shot DCC clip.jpg

Interesting. I've never heard of pull dot snaps.     

On 12/22/2020 at 8:19 PM, Hags said:

A friend asked if I could come up with a holster that he could take off/on easily when he needed to. I modified my pancake pattern yet another variant. 

Hermann Oak 7/8 veg tan

Line 24 snaps

Wet-molded in my new vacuum rig. Thanks Adam's leather works, great video and parts list! So much cleaner!

That's a beautiful holster.  

On 12/22/2020 at 10:19 PM, Hags said:

Hermann Oak 7/8 veg tan

Line 24 snaps

Looks good! Ditto on the pull the dot snaps for holsters though. 

Adams leatherwork was the first YouTube video I watched that got me wanting to get into this hobby! He does great work and makes it all look so effortless! 

LC

On 12/22/2020 at 10:19 PM, Hags said:

Hermann Oak 7/8 veg tan

Line 24 snaps

I like it....nice...