JC2019

Dog collar high quality hardware?

I'm looking to buy hardware for dog collars that are high quality and won't break easily. For stronger dogs, over 50lbs.

Things like D rings and metal buckles, both clasp and traditional (I suppose like mini belts). 

What material and  price points will I be looking at?

Thank you

For strong duty steel D and O rings I bought them from a farmers & builders supply merchant. I found the ones meant for 'leatherwork' were just not up to the job, they could be bent too easily. The ones I bought were meant for chain coupling and were very much stronger and very much cheaper.

I also got the occasional roller buckle from the same place

2 minutes ago, fredk said:

For strong duty steel D and O rings I bought them from a farmers & builders supply merchant. I found the ones meant for 'leatherwork' were just not up to the job, they could be bent too easily. The ones I bought were meant for chain coupling and were very much stronger and very much cheaper.

I also got the occasional roller buckle from the same place

Makes sense, I am sure there are trusted hardware suppliers out there I can buy from online? I'm looking for places that can ship to me (even if it requires a phone call) to the USA. I figure someone here would know. Also what kind of pricing should I expect and are there order minimums?

Thanks

There might be major hardware store in your vicinity. Most of these will do mail order now with us all being locked up.

Basically most of these hardware stores charge cents for D or O rings and you can buy 1 or a dozen

The place I bought from (closed down now but I have another source) charged anything between 20p and 50p per ring, depending on size. A 'leather work' lighter weight version was between  £1.50 to £3 for same size

3 minutes ago, fredk said:

There might be major hardware store in your vicinity. Most of these will do mail order now with us all being locked up.

Basically most of these hardware stores charge cents for D or O rings and you can buy 1 or a dozen

The place I bought from (closed down now but I have another source) charged anything between 20p and 50p per ring, depending on size. A 'leather work' lighter weight version was between  £1.50 to £3 for same size

Great. I just have to find someone. I do know a few people I can call locally so I should try that. 

I probably want to get "sets" so the metals and colors can match. For now "gold" and silver and mainly silver is what I will focus on finding.

5 hours ago, Retswerb said:

Buckleguy.com has a wide variety - some flimsy, some quite sturdy.

Will take a look thanks

Take a look at Panhandle Leather, they have a good selection of hardware and the are good folks to deal with. Weaver should have what you need as well...

Merry Christmas to all!

Weaver Leather has a great selection.  They do a lot of horse tack and that's where most of their hardware is centered.

Hillside Harness 330-893-1510 between 8:00am-10:30am EST.    4205 TR 629.    Millersburg, Oh 44654

They are Amish, so call and ask for their catalog between said time.  They make a good share of their hardware and have an endless supply of hardware molds. They do have some hardware made in China, but it is listed as so. They also seam to have the best pricing and the pricing gets lower with quantity.

Great supplies, leather and finishes as well.

Weaver's leather sells hardware they have made in China, also very expensive retail pricing if you do not have an account, whole sale if you do.

I'm late to the party, but Batz Corp in Prattsville AR has very nice, heavy duty brass and stainless steel hardware that I use for tack... and dog collars.  You might find it easier to download their catalog then search the website using the part number for price and minimum quantity.  They have not disappointed me.

On 12/23/2020 at 12:57 PM, JC2019 said:

I'm looking to buy hardware for dog collars that are high quality and won't break easily. For stronger dogs, over 50lbs.

Things like D rings and metal buckles, both clasp and traditional (I suppose like mini belts). 

What material and  price points will I be looking at?

Thank you

Regarding material, stainless steel is the most solid by far (assuming I can believe the data on the Pethardware website. They are in Europe, so it's probably not worth buying from them if you are in the U.S. but you could get an idea of the available variety. )