JLSleather

Custom. 'N" jokes. 'n' stuff.

Had a call about a [slightly] custom holster.  Guy sent me a pic of a Galco holster, says he wants "basically" this, except a couple small alterations.  Holster is easy to find in a search, and I can see Galco is selling it for just under $100.  Nice enough looking holster - I dont see anything wrong with it and in fact I kinda like the way they laid it out.  So, he wants that, but in black cowhide with the wrap around panel done in black shark, and sewn with light-ish blue thread.  Not a huge ordeal.  With the options he wants, we 'quoted' somewhere around $150.

Guy sounds surprised - says Galco sells that for $99 (or whatever it was).  So I said then I guess we'll agree to let Galco do that for you, and congratulated him on finding the rig he wants.  But, he says, Galco WONT DO THAT - he'd already asked and they had reasons why that's not going to happen.  I dont know if they meant right then, or just ever.

So I was reminded of a joke somebody told me a while back ....

Gal goes into the butcher shop, says she wants ground beef.  Butcher says it's $3/lb.  The gal is a bit shocked, comments that seems like a lot - cuz she can go across the street and get it for $2/lb.  Butcher said then I guess you'll be shopping across the street, maybe I can help you another time?  Lady says nope - can't get it across the street - they're out right now.  Butcher says that sounds like a rip-off ... when we're out it's only $1/lb.

:lol: Good for you!

Best story I ever came across about buying handmade crafts is this one:

buying handmade.jpg

On 12/24/2020 at 12:44 AM, JLSleather said:

Gal goes into the butcher shop, says she wants ground beef.  Butcher says it's $3/lb.  The gal is a bit shocked, comments that seems like a lot - cuz she can go across the street and get it for $2/lb.  Butcher said then I guess you'll be shopping across the street, maybe I can help you another time?  Lady says nope - can't get it across the street - they're out right now.  Butcher says that sounds like a rip-off ... when we're out it's only $1/lb.

A couple of years ago I overheard my son doing this routine with a customer.

My No.1 dismantles BMW cars and sells 2nd hand parts.

A guy came in looking an engine and drive train. I'll not repeat it all but it went very much like the story above.

Or the Tandy Canada website 20/12/27

Veg-Tan Saddle Skirting Side - Chestnut $107.99 Sold Out

Veg-Tan Saddle Skirting Side - Amerind $107.99 Sold Out

Veg-Tan Saddle Skirting Side - Dark Brown $107.99 Sold Out

Saddle Skirting Tan - $229.49

Family friend came over to talk to me about a holster.  He wanted one just like the holster he bought at Academy, but black with basketweaving.  I quoted him $100 IIRC.  Which was less than I would regularly quote.  He turned the holster over and showed me the $42 price.  I turned it over to the Made in Mexico sticker and told him if I had a shop full of kids sewing holsters in Mexico for pennies mine would be $42 too.  He bought the holster.  

And depending on the small alterations I'll sometimes price trying to either turn them away or make sure it's worth the aggravation for me.  And either outcome is acceptable to me.  You will find out real fast whether they are committed to having those changes made.