JamesRiley

Tool kit for newbee?

I would like to know if there are any recommended starter tool kits.  I’ve searched Amazon, and the internet in general, but in reading the reviews (I do take those with a grain of salt) I find many people are unsatisfied with tool quality and or size (some are for small hands?).  
About me:  My main interest is cowboy stuff, holsters, cartridge belts, scabbards, cuffs, horse tack, etc.
As a young person, I did some Tandy holster kits and had fun.  I’ve copied a holster I have for a long barrel to have a matching one for a short-barreled revolver (cutting, stamping, dying, etc.)  
I am remote and, while I’m used to driving 150 miles round trip for a widget, it would be nice to have a complete kit of quality tools on hand.  It would be great if they were such that I’d be happy to own them if, at some future date, I actually “turn pro” or otherwise get into this; maybe gifts that I wouldn’t be embarrassed to give.  I don’t mind spending money for quality and I would rather do that than buy cheap and get pissed off when the widget breaks or otherwise fails to last.
Finally, I’m the kind of person who would rather practice on the real thing, ending up with an ugly but functional item, than to practice on a piece of leather.  My point here, is I’m not interested in the kits that come with little wallets, leather, etc.  I’m looking mainly for all the tools necessary to crank out some holsters and cartridge belts.  I’ll buy the leather, patterns, and how-to books separately.
Thanks for any recommendations of tool kits/manufacturers.  And thanks for any “stay-away-from” advice.

This should provide you with some pointers to get you started:

https://www.ianatkinson.net/leather/toolset.htm

I'd recommend buying tools individually rather than in 'kits'. When I've bought kits I've ended paying for stuff I never use. My suggestion would be to watch videos on how what you want to make is made and buy whatever tools they're using.

For instance, for belts, I'd buy a good half-moon knife, a draught gauge, edgers, Japanese style skiving knife (you can also skive with the half-moon knife, of course), assorted hole punches, oval hole punch for the billet holes, stitching chisels (2-prong and 5-prong), stitching pony, and stitching needles. A couple of end punches (round and English point) and a cocobolo wood slicker should round it pretty nicely. I'd not waste money on stuff that's needed to make things you're not interested in, like women's bags.

Edited by Hardrada

I'd be interested in that too.  SO much of what is available these days is just garbage.  Apparently, people stick a higher price tag on some of the crap, to try to convince you that it isn't crap :huh:  I bought a new edger recently, couldn't be bothered to sharpen some of those I have.  The "new" one I got cut worse than the old one needing sharpened.

To make those things you mention, you'll want oblong (slot) punches probably in 1" and 1 1/2" lengths; round hole punches in at least sizes 2, 3, and 6; oval punches are nice for belt holes;  a strap cutter or draw guage; a good awl.  Where to source those in GOOD quality, I don't really know any more.  Careful about the name droppers around here - many of them are simply repeating what somebody else told them, and that often isn't correct info.

Edited by JLSleather

Firstly, thankyou for giving us some background information -- so often we just get 'i want to do leatherwork' and that's about it

There is a lot of information on YouTube. Search it for --

'Leatherworking tools for beginner'. Also you can Search for any particular tool you're interested in, such as a round knife or an edge beveler

How to make items you're interested in, such as a holster or a belt. You'll soon see what tools are needed and how they are used

The particular techniques, like dyeing, edge beveling, saddle stitch, and so on

You will see that the same sort of tools & techniques are used for many items, so even if you don't want to make,say, a belt pouch or a wallet, they will still help to show you how things are done

Look up this company https://www.csosborne.com/, they make workman's tools, not fancy handles and prices

JamesRiley

I knew a James Riley.. Were  you ever in the A.F in a Loadmaster capacity?  Just curious..The name caught my attention. 

Kits, for good tools, I've not found myself.  The more you do the more you learn about the tools you will need.  Learn how to sharpen your tools and keep them in good shape.  There are many YouTube vids out on leather tools, sharpening, and other info.

Take Care and good Luck in your new hobby.

Vikefan

Thank you all for the input.  I will take the advice and appreciate the link, chrisash. 

Vikefan, I stole my handle from an obscure gunman in 1800’s Kansas.  His mentor/sheriff was gunned down by five Texas cowboys seeking revenge for the arrest of one of their own.  The emptied their revolvers into the sheriff.  After the shooting stopped and the cowboys were reloading in the smoked-filled room, Riley calmly walked in, turned around, locked the door, and then proceeded to kill them all.  He then walked out and into history, never to be heard from again.  I think more men (6) were killed in that gun fight than in any other “wild west” shootout.
I guess if you show up late to the party, you might as well be smart about it.  I liked the story so I took the name for a SASS handle (no longer active/member).

Very nice!  Great story...