Onsite Tack

Large spools of thread unwinding

I have a challenge. When I have a large spool of thread on my sewing machine, as the spool moves in a circle, extra lengths of thread fall out or off the spool, ending up wound around the bottom of the spool and messing things up. When I bought my sewing machine, the dealer gave me some tubular netting that fits around the spool and keeps this from happening. However, he did not give me much of this. I am looking for the same thing or a substitute. All ideas welcomed.

Thanks.

Kathy

Kathy, I'm not sure my machine has a thread stand. The spool sits stationary and the thread runs up through an arm with holes in it, so the thread is pulled up vertically above the thread.

try using grape bags. the netting kind of course. oo! or maybe a hairnet.

I use the top elastic part of old socks and slip it over the spool. once it get past half a spool it will hopefully stop unraveling. I know i can be a pain when your sewing n the thread breaks cause its wrapped around the spool base lol.

steal your wife/mothers nylons and put the tread spool in that.use a garbage bag twist tie to hold it closed at the top, but open enough that the thread can still be spooled out. not pretty, but functional.

Hay guys just easedropping on this,,i was wondering if the thread drop was from spool chatter,,

at the hardware store they sell long brush stock the goes under the front door to keep dirt out,,

what would happen if a stretch of that was laid aginst the spool,,

i don't know if it will work ,,just a thought,,C YA

Go to a large fabric store and they sell nets that are made for spools of thread. I have several that my wife got for me. They work very well in keeping the thread from falling off the spools.

Randy

Pull a ladies nylon stocking over your spool of thread with a small hole in the top for the thread to come out through. This will hold it in place while also allowing you to see your spool. Greg

Thanks for the great ideas. Grape bags - I never thought of those. And, the fabric store - I will check them out. I had thought of stockings, but hadn't gotten to trying it out.

Kathleen

Stockings, I love that, I've been using paper and a rubber band. I'm gonna buy me some L'eggs on the way to work. This site is so fntaaastic. Kevin

Kevin,

I can just see you now in the store buying L'eggs!

"and what size does your wife wear?"

"Oh, no, they are for me when I do my sewing."

:lol:

You can also put a large piece of cardboard or leather under the spool of thread. Just make sureit's about 1.5" to 2" larger in circumference then the spool of thread. If it's on a thread stand. Also make sure your thread goes straight up into the small loops, and not a little crooked.

hi,

I used to put the spool in a plastic bag and that would slow down the unravelling.

Joy

I've never had that as a problem with my Tippmann machine, . . . but one of the first things I did was make a wooden dowel to fill in the huge hole in the middle of the commercial thread spools, . . . and drill it to just fit over the metal post on my machine.

Maybe I cured the problem before it became a problem :thumbsup:

May God bless,

Dwight

Cody_bites_Peg_001.jpgCody_bites_Peg_002.jpg

I have a challenge. When I have a large spool of thread on my sewing machine, as the spool moves in a circle, extra lengths of thread fall out or off the spool, ending up wound around the bottom of the spool and messing things up. When I bought my sewing machine, the dealer gave me some tubular netting that fits around the spool and keeps this from happening. However, he did not give me much of this. I am looking for the same thing or a substitute. All ideas welcomed.

Thanks.

Kathy

Hi Kathy

I like to use the stretch fishnet bags garlic is sold in.I feed horses so there is always a supply of the material around.It comes (the garlic) in about a 12" run so it can be cut to length required and fits all size of spools

Robin

post-5914-1219961967_thumb.jpg

post-5914-1219962004_thumb.jpg

I found this on Tippmans website,

Drill a small hole in the plastic thread bobbin base.

Run the thread from the top, down the inside of the bobbin, out the hole in the base, up to the thread guide arm to the machine.

Try it you don't need to worry about looking like a cross dresser buying pantyhose, wires, garlic, or hairnets!! :head_hurts_kr:

Rick J.

thur_aug_08_004.JPG

post-6575-1219964500_thumb.jpg