dukraf

Which is the best leather glue?

Hi,

Totally new to working with leather. I would like to bond two 'furry' sides of leather together and have the glue dry clear. Like you would do making a wallet for example, but without stitches.

I saw in america they use s-18 and Barge contact cement. What can be used that's as strong and is reasonably priced and availabe in the UK (Amazon UK for example)?

Thanks

I've seen a boot maker and another leather worker use Hirschkleber.

https://sorrellnotionsandfindings.com/product/hirschkleber-craft-paste/

Can you get that in the UK?

Myself, I use contact cement: a Barge alternative made in Canada.

I've also used Renia Colle de Cologne: it's good—another contact cement.

Now the issue with contact cements is the fumes: you need a well ventilated area to use them, specially if you're applying them to large areas. I don't mind the fumes, but even I have ended up with a sore throat and a headache after long applications.

Water-based glues don't have this problem, but they can't be shipped in the wintertime: if they freeze they are ruined.

Renia has a water-based cement called Aquilim 315. I'm told it's very good and bonds permanently instantly, but my bottle was shipped during wintertime and I guess it froze or kinda froze in transit because the glue doesn't bond permanently.

Edited by Hardrada

2 hours ago, Hardrada said:

I've seen a boot maker and another leather worker use Hirschkleber.

https://sorrellnotionsandfindings.com/product/hirschkleber-craft-paste/

Can you get that in the UK?

Myself, I use contact cement: a Barge alternative made in Canada.

I've also used Renia Colle de Cologne: it's good—another contact cement.

Now the issue with contact cements is the fumes: you need a well ventilated area to use them, specially if you're applying them to large areas. I don't mind the fumes, but even I have ended up with a sore throat and a headache after long applications.

Water-based glues don't have this problem, but they can't be shipped in the wintertime: if they freeze they are ruined.

Renia has a water-based cement called Aquilim 315. I'm told it's very good and bonds permanently instantly, but my bottle was shipped during wintertime and I guess it froze or kinda froze in transit because the glue doesn't bond permanently.

I find Colle de Cologne super hard to work with because it's so stringy. (Even after it's thinned out) Renia Syntic Total and Renia Ortec are two alternatives I think you should try. My favorite is Syntic Total.

Edited by Danne

1 hour ago, Danne said:

because it's so stringy

That it is. Actually, I stopped using it because I couldn't find a thinner for it. I tried the domestic thinner but it didn't really work well (please note that I'm no glue expert nor chemist), hence I changed to the local glue.

Evostik Impact contact adhesive. Get it from Halfords in small tubes, which are a neat way of trying it, but expensive if you use a lot; or larger cans. Or Search t'Net.  You could also try a general purpose glue like Bostik, UHU, or the store's own brand. Might have to do a bit of fiddling about to get the right amount applied, and the amount of drying or tackiness before you fix the pieces together

Furry side of leather................Leather is the skin of a cow. The side that's on the outside facing the world has a smoother, denser composition and is called the grain side. The inside that's fixed to the animal has a rougher, more open composition and is called the flesh side

8 hours ago, Hardrada said:

That it is. Actually, I stopped using it because I couldn't find a thinner for it. I tried the domestic thinner but it didn't really work well (please note that I'm no glue expert nor chemist), hence I changed to the local glue.

I have Renia's thinner, bu still stringy. Don't get me wrong here Colle is a good glue, but in my opinion not the best choice for small leather goods, maybe more suited for a cobbler or something. I had Syntic Total in a "lid jar" with a diy gasket for months now, and use it rarely and in small amounts when water based glue isn't enough. And I think (don't quote me on this) that you can thin it down with acetone (If you are curious just check Renia's website, and the document for that glue)

For short time use like making a wallet and gluing before stitching then any PVA glue will work just apply and add pressure, your woodworking pva will be fine

For joints where you need the real strength then many of the contact glues like mentioned by Zuludog will do a good job if you follow the instructions.

Note is gluing the grain side you need to roughen up the surface before applying the glue to get a good fix