327fed

Lubing old machines

I have a Consew 225 that is in good shape with clutch motor. Got it through an in-law who services sewing machines and It works ok and will barely do my one use on holsters. He showed me how-where to lube it. When I do a holster it might sew 2 minutes, then sit in my shop for a month or 2. How often to oil it? Unlikely I will live long enough to put 8 hours on it.

Also, does anybody know the shaft size to upsize to a larger pulley on the machine? 

1 minute ago, 327fed said:

I have a Consew 225 that is in good shape with clutch motor. Got it through an in-law who services sewing machines and It works ok and will barely do my one use on holsters. He showed me how-where to lube it. When I do a holster it might sew 2 minutes, then sit in my shop for a month or 2. How often to oil it? Unlikely I will live long enough to put 8 hours on it.

Also, does anybody know the shaft size to upsize to a larger pulley on the machine? 

Merry Christmas,

Firstly, I sure hope you will live long enough to put well over 8 hours on it. If you leave it sit for that long of time, i would oil it every time you use it and do not use 3 in 1 oil. I always oil my machine the day before using, every night if sewing daily and put a rag under the needle to collect oil that drips over night. I oil the hook and bobbin case every bobbin change no matter what size of bobbin.

Your machine should turn over very freely with the handwheel, if it does not, the clutch arm may need adjusted, one way to check this is to remove the belt and see how it turns over, if it turns over a lot more free, then the clutch may need adjusted, what does your brother in law think? Sewmun aka Bob Kovar should know shaft size or have a fix, pulley etc. if you still need aid in turning your machine over.

In-law is 3 hours away. Just wanted bigger pulley to slow it down a bit.

3 hours ago, 327fed said:

In-law is 3 hours away. Just wanted bigger pulley to slow it down a bit.

We usually slow down the motor, not the machine. I have some motors equipped with 2 inch pulleys and under. Clutch motors usually have a 3/4 inch shaft and small pulleys can be found online. Just make sure you buy from a sewing machine dealer who has 3/8 inch width pulleys for type 3L belts.

If a small motor pulley doesn't slow it down enough, there are speed reducers available in 2:1 and 3:1 ratios.

For every inch of motor pulley reduction, you will need an equally smaller 3L v-belt.

Another option is to buy a servo motor.

Yes it had a 2  1/2 or 3 inch pulley when I got it. Now has a 2 inch pulley. Really not that much too fast - just would be nice to run a bit slower. Hate to invest too much in the setup - no income from hobby, machine really is marginal for what I use it for. One of these days I will journey to Tractor Supply and get pulleys, make a jackshaft, etc. to slow it down. I think a pulley under 2 inch would not have enough area and slip more than it does now. 

47 minutes ago, 327fed said:

Yes it had a 2  1/2 or 3 inch pulley when I got it. Now has a 2 inch pulley. Really not that much too fast - just would be nice to run a bit slower. Hate to invest too much in the setup - no income from hobby, machine really is marginal for what I use it for. One of these days I will journey to Tractor Supply and get pulleys, make a jackshaft, etc. to slow it down. I think a pulley under 2 inch would not have enough area and slip more than it does now. 

So, feather the damn clutch!

8 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

So, feather the damn clutch!

Yes, I do. And the belt slips. I can manage. But back to the original question, anybody know the shaft size on a Consew 225 pulley? 

I have cut v belts and put them back together with hog rings that have held up for a very long time to save from buying a belt. Building a jackshaft, plus buying a belt can really add up. 

I wish I could help you on shaft size, I really think it is 1/2" but can't bet on it since it is made in japan, so it may be 13mm. Maybe Bob will chime in soon.

Edited by ryano

Found the original pulley on Amazon. 1/2 inch for this one and Singer 111. 

Grease the cork clutch plate and will help control a bit.  I like to put bigger pulley on the handwheel and smaller on the motor.  If you have lathe or know some one that does what I do is make an oversized pulley that pilots on the pulley that's on the handwheel.  I go for 5-6 inches diameter.  That way if the original handwheel helps balance the machine it keeps that intact.  I fasten the over pulley by drilling and tapping a few holes into the handwheel.

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, sandmanred said:

Grease the cork clutch plate and will help control a bit.  I like to put bigger pulley on the handwheel and smaller on the motor.  If you have lathe or know some one that does what I do is make an oversized pulley that pilots on the pulley that's on the handwheel.  I go for 5-6 inches diameter.  That way if the original handwheel helps balance the machine it keeps that intact.  I fasten the over pulley by drilling and tapping a few holes into the handwheel.

Yrs ago we used to use air pump pulley off Chevy engines,the water pump pulley will work too it's offset,you drill holes & bolt it on the the original pulley.

One last thing worth mentioning to help feathering the clutch is either reduce the throw on the foot pedal or increase the throw on the clutch lever or a little of both.  This will increase the distance the pedal needs to tip to engage the clutch.

4 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

Yrs ago we used to use air pump pulley off Chevy engines,the water pump pulley will work too it's offset,you drill holes & bolt it on the the original pulley.

Yep, done that too with a pulley off my old Honda Accord, worked well.:)

I did the clutch lever extension. Helped quite a bit. I think the motor/clutch was new and is wearing in and working a bit smoother.