MtlBiker

Identifying thread weight?

Pretty dumb I know, but I’ve got half a dozen bobbins wound with v69 and v92 black thread. I’ll blame it on my cat for knocking them off the shelf but now I can’t tell which is which.  I tried using a micrometer to measure their thicknesses but that’s probably not possible due to thread compression.

What I did was to put the bobbins in a bobbin holder that had the tension set correctly for v92 thread and then check if it was correct  or too loose.

Is there a better way to tell which is which?  What would you do?

Trying to work out thread weights/numbers etc is the quickest way to the nut house. I have a lot of cones with no labels on. I now just put a likely thread through a loose needle and hold the thread at 45 degrees. If the thread slides rather than falls and doesn't get stuck you're good to go.

Just compare them visually against a known v69 or v92 thread, or against each other. And if you can’t tell the difference, then it likely won’t make a difference in real life. Or just pretend they’re all v69, to be on the safe side strength wise. Then wind some new bobbins with v92 for when you MUST be certain it’s v92. 

Was it a black cat

40 minutes ago, toxo said:

Trying to work out thread weights/numbers etc is the quickest way to the nut house. I have a lot of cones with no labels on. I now just put a likely thread through a loose needle and hold the thread at 45 degrees. If the thread slides rather than falls and doesn't get stuck you're good to go.

92 will be hard to thread on a #16 needle.

2 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

92 will be hard to thread on a #16 needle.

Won't slide then will it.

Since V69 has a breaking strength of 10.6 lb and V92 has a breaking strength 14.2 lbs you could try tying a piece of thread to 14 lb of weight and see if you can lift it without it breaking. If it breaks it is V69 if not it is V92.

Just a thought,

Merry Xmas

kgg

To prevent getting mixed up in the future.  Available at WAWAK.  The bobbins friction fits  and the foam keeps even heavy thread tails under control.

https://www.wawak.com/Sewing/Sewing-Machine-Accessories/Bobbins-Cases/28-bobbin-box-wfoam-insert-clear/?sku=PRT18

An interesting point is that this forum is mainly US based and so a conversation about needles and threads can take on a different slant than say here in the UK. A lot of US sewers are doing heavy stuff like saddles and holsters etc. Over here, not so much. The heaviest thing I make is a handbag/purse so not only lighter leather but colours as well. Most any thread will do for bags so colour takes on more importance than thread size (within reason). I don't have all the colours in all the sizes so sometimes the colour is the key. After choosing the colour on an unmarked cone I will marry it up with a needle and the quickest way is the slide test followed by a scrap test.

On 12/27/2020 at 8:04 AM, sandmanred said:

To prevent getting mixed up in the future.  Available at WAWAK.  The bobbins friction fits  and the foam keeps even heavy thread tails under control.

https://www.wawak.com/Sewing/Sewing-Machine-Accessories/Bobbins-Cases/28-bobbin-box-wfoam-insert-clear/?sku=PRT18

That storage box looks like exactly what I need for the future.  I'd never heard of Wawak before, and I'm glad to see they also have a Canadian site with Canadian prices and free shipping (over $100 orders).  I've just ordered three of those boxes as well as some other stuff they have.  Thanks for the tip!!

On 12/26/2020 at 1:54 PM, kgg said:

Since V69 has a breaking strength of 10.6 lb and V92 has a breaking strength 14.2 lbs you could try tying a piece of thread to 14 lb of weight and see if you can lift it without it breaking. If it breaks it is V69 if not it is V92.

Just a thought,

Merry Xmas

kgg

Good idea to test the thread via the breaking strength.  I'm certainly going to be more careful in the future and have ordered some storage boxes to keep my bobbins more organized.

On 12/26/2020 at 11:53 AM, jcuk said:

Was it a black cat

Yeah, it was a black cat.  SIGH  Wants to get into everything.

I wouldn't be to keen to do many bobbins of thread up at a time as they will develop a coil memory which if left to long may affect your stitch look. If you are doing a bunch of bobbins in different thread sizes colour code the bobbins with a permanent maker or a light dab of ladies nail polish (many colours to choose from) . Like pink marked bobbins are V69 thread, purple V92, black V138 you get the idea.

kgg

Edited by kgg
spelling error

5 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

I'd never heard of Wawak before, and I'm glad to see they also have a Canadian site

Wawak (Canadian division) caters to what is known to the industrialized world as "the needle trade." Like other industrial countries, Canada has all manner of professional sewing shops, alterationists, garment and accessory factories, tailors, shoe and boot makers, shoe repair shops, seamstresses, hobby sewers, domestic sewing machine dealers and industrial sewing machine dealers. Canada has a rich history producing sewn goods from all manner of materials. There was and still is a thriving needle trade in many major Canadian cities. You also have a top quality sewing thread producer named Cansew.

For decades there has been a  leather supplier in Toronto, whose name is Moore Pearsall Tannery Warehouse. They are a major supplier of high quality bridle and harness leather, as well as veg-tan, retan and chrome-tan leathers.

Toronto has some industrial sewing machine dealers who have been in the needle trade for many decades.

Unbeknownst to many here, Toronto (and other Canadian cities) are prime haunts for movie producers. A lot of costume makers and gun smiths are busy making movie props in Canada. Somebody I see every day made holsters for the movie Romeo and Juliet, which was cast in TO. My friend, working under the art department, measured Leonardo DiCaprio and the other primary actors for their custom holsters, then built them in his basement and sewed them together on his Union Lockstitch machine. A few years later he moved back to the USA.

Added: You can buy double-sided leather tape from Wawak in 60 yard spools, in widths from 1/4" through 1". I use it to install zippers, to secure hems and seams, to hold patches on hats, vests and jackets for sewing, and, to hold various pieces of leather together securely for sewing. The one inch wide tape is great for securing double leather belts, especially if you want to pre-bend them inwards for sewing on a natural curve.