Willbury

3 Phase to Single Phase Clicker conversions.

Looking for a bit of advice.   I'm in the market to upgrade my clicker to a larger machine, something around 25tons.   Everything I've seen in these larger machines are 3 phase, which I don't have in my shop.

I know the traditional method of doing a conversion would be to use a Rotary phase converter, however I'm under the impression that some people are using VFDs(variable frequency drives).  Is anyone here using a VFD on a 3 phase clicker?    My biggest question is in regards to the electronics potentiometers etc in the clickers that tend to run on 110 and can go a bit awry with some conversions.

Your best bet would be to contact the maker who will have the best information

1 minute ago, chrisash said:

Your best bet would be to contact the maker who will have the best information

I'm looking at machines on the used market and will do the conversion, whatever it may be, myself.  

Not on a clicker but I have a VFD on my lathe and on my belt grinder. I replaced the single phase motors with three phase, running on our standard 230v single phase, and they work well.

I used phase convertors on my Schabe D and Fipi 20   20 years ago  Still working   The conversion on the Fipi was more difficult because of the euro wiring.  

I'm sure the VFD will run the motor just fine, where I'm more fuzzy on this whole situation is the electronic controls.    As I understand it (looking at some wiring diagrams) the electronics in the machines are run on single phase power converted from three phase in a transformer.     What I'm wondering is if the frequency from the VFD is not correct will it mess up (fry) all the controls?

Willbury in Ontario you are also facing another couple problems, certification and insurance. Nanny state anyone.

1. When you install equipment that is not CSA approved you will need your setup inspected by the Ontario electrical inspection authority and tagged before it is put into service unless you buy a certified setup from a CSA certified manufacturer. Forbid anything happens and it has not been inspected / tagged potentially you maybe left holding the bag. This in the past did created problems prior to the new trade agreement. If I am not mistaken now they have an agreement where CSA or UL certifications are recognized on both sides of the border. An example would have been as simple as buying say a electric stove across the border in the USA and you had a fire. The first thing the fire inspector would check was the nameplate for the CSA certification, no CSA certification your insurance probably would walk.

2. Count on installing a system that can handle at least twice the current of the three phase load rating. Which in turn means your operation cost to operate the clicker will increase. Depending on your location and setup you maybe better just off getting a 3 phase drop to your property.

Some addition things to checkout,

kgg

I bought a phase convertor from Kay Industries for my 3 phase clicker press, it works great! Make sure you wire the machine to correctly match the phase convertor. You may have to get an electrician to wire it up if you are not sure how to do it. 

I have a 5hp and 3hp rotary generators in use.   They'll operate a clicker just fine. My Atoms work as they should.  One of my atoms has a 2hp motor on it and many times I've only used the generator to power it up and then switch it off.  The machine will operate at 2/3 power on single phase without the generator.  3ph clickers are mostly factory 1hp I believe.

Most clickers are available in single phase new, but when you shop used it's tougher to find single phase machines.   You can buy a single phase motor w/capacitor for Atoms and Fipi machines, but they're a tough motor to find in the USA for any kind of reasonable price....

A rotary generator is your best option, they're easy to find used and not hard to wire up.  Clickers start up with a heavy load I and believe a static cap inverter or VFD would never cut it.

Edited by Cumberland Highpower