threedwag

Juki 1541s Presser Foot Not Moving Not Walking Not Working

Hi,

I could really use some help troubleshooting this problem.

I have a very lightly used  Juki 1541s. Has been a great machine up to now, but I made some standard adjustments to change the presser-foot height to handle a big stack of material. Also changed the walking feet to handle some cording. Then I went back to what I thought were standard settings and adjustments and the walking foot / presser foot combination. No idea what I did wrong, but now my presser foot bar doesn't move - at all. It's just stone dead, even if I remove the feet altogether. Rest of machine seems to be working normally. Not jammed. Clutch has not been tripped, but somewhere, something is preventing the presser bar from moving. I can't find any reference to this problem. I don't see it in the service manual, although I do see instructions for adjusting the presser foot height and have been through the steps outlined in the service manual,  here:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ix3CVBN8mJUaqVO8IyqAgUSQIAY3h6EZ/view?usp=sharing

I have checked and played with various positions of both the step height adjustment nut and the presser bar height adjustment set screw. Still nothing. I suspect a loose or broken linkage of some kind, but can't figure it out.

Thank you, in advance, for any insight.

Because of this, machine is unusable. Does not advance material, thread binds and breaks after a few stitches. Here's what my machine is doing. Note zero motion in the presser bar (one on  the far left): 

Here's another YouTube video of same model machine  showing normal operation. Notice the distinct up-and-down movement of the presser foot, as it holds then releases the material between stitches.

If you could do a video of the rear of the machine it may be more helpful as this would show what the rear drive rod is doing. It could be as simple as one of the bolt has come loose that tightens down to this shaft.

kgg

The walking feet only walk when you actually have presser feet attached. The rear foot can only lift up if the front foot steps onto something.

Whatever “standard adjustment” you made to accommodate the thick stack caused this problem. I suspect you raised the rear presser bar. Undo that adjustment. Don’t raise it again. If the material doesn’t fit under feet, it’s not meant to be sewn on that machine. Raising the rear presser bar does not solve that problem, it just creates other problems.

Attempting to sew material thicker than the design allows may cause a bind in the walking mechanism and as a result may cause an adjustment to slip (if you’re lucky) or something to break (if you’re unlucky.) 

When you raise the feet using the manual foot lift lever, the rear foot should lift a precise amount - no more, no less. That manual foot lift height varies between machine designs and will be shown in the adjustment manual for your machine. Bring your rear presser bar to the correct height before you proceed.

There’s an adjustment on the back of the machine that may have slipped. The video below shows the basic concepts and adjustment procedure. It’s shown on a different machine, but yours should have very similar adjustments.

Edited by Uwe

UWE - Genius! That solved it. Looks like my walking foot was set too high. No pressure on the walking foot, therefore no presser foot motion. I didn't previously understand what "activated" the presser foot. Now, I get it.

As for the step height adjustment, it seems to be a standard thing for the 1541. Well covered in the docs. But that wasn't the source of the problem. The second set screw I messed with allows you to adjust the height of the presser foot. Manual instructs that the foot should be 9mm above the dogs, which is the amount it gets raised by the lift mechanism. You would only need to adjust the height if you have a foot with a non-standard height - since this is fixed by the location of the set screw hole on the presser foot.

Here are some photos of the adjustments in question on the Juki 1541s. Note that these had nothing to do with the problem I was having. But useful to know where they are.

Presser adjustment screw location:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kXhaJHwwOHHpEu5MQqswxLeCvg7rE2Jr/view?usp=sharing

Presser height adjustment screw closeup:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gqob2svTkou7MCVXxwBhvlJHRUB3-6he/view?usp=sharing

Step height adjustment (move to highest red mark to accommodate very thick material. Lowest mark for thin material.):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lSUg0_Jb2Jf8Kn7-TDnXovRXv5-io-O7/view?usp=sharing

Thank you again,

Sean

Hello!

I have a few issues dealing with my Encore 1541s (Juki) from Sewing Machines Plus. I have called to talk to a technician but am on a waitlist. I initially got put on the list on the 22nd and am STILL WAITING for a phone call.  I bought it brand new and put together the table and motor and attached the head and knee lift. Everything is in place, so I unscrewed the six screws on top so I could remove the top plate with the adjustable dial on it, so I could ensure everything was properly oiled. When I went to attach the plate and screw back in, there was a bolt/nut/hex(not sure what it’s connected to) that hits the bottom of the dial that wouldn’t allow me to line it up flush to close the lid. I’m pretty sure that dial allows you to adjust the height of the presser foot which brings me to my next issue. 

When I put fabric under feed dogs to sew, the back presser bar won’t move and it basically sews in place and doesn’t move. Not sure if any of this makes sense, I just need HELP!!

I would call their customer service and say that if a tech doesn't call you back in the next 72 hours you will take them up on their 60 money back offer.

kgg

Edited by kgg
spelling error

@HannahWingateDesigns Welcome to the forum. Don’t be afraid to start a new topic for a new problem. It keeps the topics cleaner and more focused. List the machine and problem in the title of the topic just like this original post did (e.g. “Juki 1541S: can’t put cover back on”).

I suspect you have to turn the knob (Juki calls it the alternate vertical dial) into a certain position in order to put the cover back on. The knob likely pushes aside some spring loaded lever underneath and when you take the cover off, that lever snaps back into its starting position. Try turning the knob to either limit and see if the cover will go back on without interference. Look at the mechanism and see if you can figure out how it works.

Post some detailed pictures of the open machine and the underside of the removed cover. We might be able to  use the pictures figure it out and add arrows to explain what you need to do.

You’ll have to learn some essential debugging skills, otherwise you’ll be dead in the water every time some little thing goes wrong, waiting for a callback from tech support. Study the user, parts, and engineer’s manuals to learn as much as you can about your machine. Closely inspect the machine to see how things connect and move before you make changes.

Resist the temptation to blame the vendor for something you did.

Many companies are plain shut down over the holidays. No need to get agitated over a delay in response at this time of year.

In general, don’t take things apart unless you know how they go back together (unless you can afford down time want to just explore and learn)

Edit:

I just found this snippet in the Juki 1541S Engineer’s Manual that describes how to put the cover back on:

DCFF1D09-5ABC-49D4-AEE7-E2267209A059.jpeg

Edited by Uwe