Just completed a Skeleton Shoulder-Holster for a Remington 1875 revolver.  I made some changes from my first holster of this type (for a 3 1/2? barrel Peacemaker) to include using softer leather for the harness itself.  I "black-smithed" the cylinder retention clip from spring steel and covered it with light leather.  Every time I make a holster of a different design, I find better ways to make it look, fit and function better.  I'm going to turn around and make another one like this one with at least four separate modifications.  I've heard it called a "Tombstone Shoulder Holster" and simply a "Skeleton Holster" and heard the dates of the originals back to the 1890s.  There are several stories around about them.  I call mine "Pinkerton Holsters" because I just think that they'd be a good thing for an undercover detective to carry.  The photo is of my first skeleton holster for the "snubbie" Peacemaker. I carry it regularly.  I don't have any more photos on this laptop!  

Max's Finished Skeleton Holster.jpg

Looks like a fun project.  

On 12/29/2020 at 5:22 PM, MaxDolan said:

Just completed a Skeleton Shoulder-Holster for a Remington 1875 revolver.  I made some changes from my first holster of this type (for a 3 1/2? barrel Peacemaker) to include using softer leather for the harness itself.  I "black-smithed" the cylinder retention clip from spring steel and covered it with light leather.  Every time I make a holster of a different design, I find better ways to make it look, fit and function better.  I'm going to turn around and make another one like this one with at least four separate modifications.  I've heard it called a "Tombstone Shoulder Holster" and simply a "Skeleton Holster" and heard the dates of the originals back to the 1890s.  There are several stories around about them.  I call mine "Pinkerton Holsters" because I just think that they'd be a good thing for an undercover detective to carry.  The photo is of my first skeleton holster for the "snubbie" Peacemaker. I carry it regularly.  I don't have any more photos on this laptop!  

Max's Finished Skeleton Holster.jpg

How did you build the spring steel clamp...can you order these???

HI

I just saw this and it looks really good.  Does it attach to your belt at the bottom?  That might make it easier to draw.  I have a shoulder holster that I haven't worn in years.

Later

What an excellent design. You did well there.