Oneyewillie

Leather workstation

I want to make a butcher block style top work station for leather work including tooling and I have a length in mind but not sure how wide the top should be. What would you recommend for a size for work surface that you wouldn’t out grow quickly ? 

Depends on what you're gonna be making.

As I often make board games and the boards are between 30 and 42 cm square anything less than 45 to 50 cm is no good. But when I'm making valet trays and such 30 cm x 40 cm is good enough

Hi

I'm curious.  I've done leather work on and off for a while including a lot of stamping.  20 years ago, I set crosslegged on the floor of the basement and pounded on the concrete.  Now I have the cutout for a bathroom sink on my counter  top over a rubber matt that's about 3/4 inch thick.  I have no problems in stamping, but with knocking stuff off the countertop when I swap ends of the belt to do meanders (D445S) for example.  How large of work space would you like to have?  I'm house hunting and would probably use a 4x8 piece of plywood as the cutting and stamping space, but with a 2x3 foot concrete slab about half way on the long side of the table if I get a house.

Thanks

Shoulders or sides?  Cutting table or work table or both?  You ought to know best what your needs are.   Do you mean depth(front to back)?  Five feet with out more information.

Thanks, I didn't think to put that in.  I was about to start house hunting more when the 19 showed up.

I"d say full sides.  Not sure what I"ll be able to afford, but I"m looking at the Barndominium idea.  I've always said I need a 1000 Sq Foot house and a 10K Sq Foot storage shed, so hopefully space won't be a problem. 

I was thinking 4x8 plywood, with the concrete section at one 8 foot side.  I would ASSUME that working on a side, from the side would be worst case.  I'm looking at cutting table with a tooling part as stated.  SO FAR, I don't stamp anything too big, like a suitcase.  Cheyenne holsters, belts, and possibly a possibles bag of some sort are the biggest of my goals.

Would I be better off with separate cutting area and tooling area?

Thanks

In my opinion you definitely need a separate cutting, tooling and dying areas if you can have the room!  Where are you in Okla. I’m in the panhandle of Tx. About 30 miles from Okla.

My experience is that the bigger the table the more junk gets stored on top and in the way.  I made a tool well like the woodworking benches have to store tools and what not level with or below the bench surface.  Basically a tray attached to the bench.  Drawers and shelves are pretty convenient.  I would have dedicated drawers for leather panels and one for my patterns.  

On 1/20/2021 at 3:29 PM, Rhale said:

In my opinion you definitely need a separate cutting, tooling and dying areas if you can have the room!  Where are you in Okla. I’m in the panhandle of Tx. About 30 miles from Okla.

Hi

I'm in South Norman dang near to Noble.  I already decided on building a paint bay in the garage.  I doubt I paint a car, but I do some woodworking.  If I can put a decently heavy concrete block next to the cutting table, I might put one of the two table on rollers.  Housing prices are climbing unfortunately.

Later

Edited by 1961Mike