MtlBiker

New Servo Suggestion? (Consew 206RB-5)

Since changing to a small motor pulley on my 206RB-5 I'm able to run at a much slower speed than before.  And at slow speed I hear a "knocking" sound from the servo.  It's like car engine valves needing adjustment... at idle you hear the knocking but at higher revs you don't.  I hadn't heard the noise before.

Running the servo with the belt removed (so as to eliminate the machine itself as being the noise source) the knocking is there.

Getting to my dealer would be really really inconvenient, plus due to the forced Covid business closures here, it might only be the end of January when I could do that.  So I want to investigate my options in terms of getting a new servo motor.

Any suggestions about which servo to buy and from where?  Hopefully there's a Canadian source.  If the cost is $2-300 (hopefully Canadian) then I think it would be worth it to me.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Knocking Servo

Hi There! I bought a complete 550W setup to convert small CNC mill a couple of years ago here is the Ebay listing number just copy and paste it into the search bar and have a look. This is a US listing but they all come from China so use the similar items search function and you should find something reasonable with free shipping or minimal. I am close enough to the border to have a US post box but it's no good now with the border closed. Hopefully soon. 

Kelly

5 minutes ago, mcmuck said:

Hi There! I bought a complete 550W setup to convert small CNC mill a couple of years ago here is the Ebay listing number just copy and paste it into the search bar and have a look. This is a US listing but they all come from China so use the similar items search function and you should find something reasonable with free shipping or minimal. I am close enough to the border to have a US post box but it's no good now with the border closed. Hopefully soon. 

Kelly

Thank you Kelly!

That looks good, but with $100 shipping cost and kinda forever to receive it, I'm going with a different option.  I was strongly suggested (privately, but by an experienced member here) that I'd be better off replacing the motor with the identical make/model and that in very many cases the newer servos with electronic digital displays were troublesome.  I was pointed towards Japan Sewing in Toronto and they actually had an identical servo replacement in stock and ready to ship.  I've ordered it and may even receive it tomorrow (Canpar from Toronto to Montreal is often overnight but the holidays and Covid might affect that).  Total cost, including tax and shipping was $168 Canadian!! 

May not be quite as modern as the model you linked to, but it's the easiest solution and by far the quickest.  With the forced closure of businesses here I'm going to be stuck at home for a few weeks and I really wanted to get this machine fixed up pronto.

Happy New Year, and keep well.

If you have a clutch motor from before, swap motors until the servo dealer reopens and learn to feather the clutch. Back out the big bolt to get the free movement you want and tighten the return coli spring to pull the lever up. You can buy a 45 or 50mm pulley for it if you really want to go sloooooow.

That definitely has a knock!! Makes me itchy to pull it apart and find out what is knocking.:)

2 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

If you have a clutch motor from before, swap motors until the servo dealer reopens and learn to feather the clutch. Back out the big bolt to get the free movement you want and tighten the return coli spring to pull the lever up. You can buy a 45 or 50mm pulley for it if you really want to go sloooooow.

No, I got the machine with the servo motor.  So no clutch motor here.  But with any luck, I'll have the replacement motor tomorrow and will bring the defective motor back to the dealer when everyone reopens.  Then, depending on whether he replaces or repairs, I should have a spare servo.

And thanks to your earlier advice, I do have a 45mm pulley for my motor and with it I can sew slow enough that I'm happy. 

Happy New Year!