Simmental

Strip Cutting - Long Mystery Braid

Good evening everyone,

Whilst I am waiting for some materials to arrive for another project, I thought I'd try and make a 5 strand mystery braid belt.

What do you think is the best way of cutting a long section of 5 strands? 

I tried to make my own strander with 1/4 razorblades sandwiched between leather washers at the right spacings. This however turned out to be just the most lethal thing I have ever made. After bleeding all over my work I decided to quit for the time being and ask here! Do you think just using a straight edge will be better?

Thanks

Johnny

PS Had a thought, I am going to try disassembling my strap cutter to see if that will work.

Edited by Simmental

3 hours ago, Simmental said:

What do you think is the best way of cutting a long section of 5 strands? 

This tool has served me well for years... You can find this table top lace cutting tool at Amazon and many other places.

Table-Top-Lace-Cutter.jpg

Table Top Lace Cutting.jpg

LatigoAmigo............Will this cutter let you start in the middle of a strap and quit before the end of the strap?

21 minutes ago, Hasbeencowboy said:

Will this cutter let you start in the middle of a strap and quit before the end of the strap?

Absolutely. And you can easily adjust for the width of the straps.

Edited by LatigoAmigo

You can also find them all over ebay if you don't mind vintage.  They do mystery braid cuts quite well.  Weaver leather even mentioned them in a shop tricks video as a very useful tool that you don't use very often, but when you do need it, not much replaces it.

YinTx

I'll be seriously be thinking about getting one of these myself.  I enjoy  doing secret plaits .All I've been using is a home made scratch gauge set at different widths , and the leather is very carefully  cut with a really sharp blade. 

HS